PG Music Home
Posted By: tonnie Poly chords - 10/24/20 03:35 PM
Recently I came across Jacob Collier and his reharmonizations. He uses a lot of polychords. Since I did not find anything about polychords in the help section of BB, I wonder if this could be included in a future issue of BB?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Poly chords - 10/25/20 06:44 AM
There are instances where Polychords could be utilized to take BiaB to another level entirely.

Great suggestion, and +1
Posted By: MarioD Re: Poly chords - 10/25/20 11:27 AM
+1
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Poly chords - 10/25/20 12:48 PM
+1
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Poly chords - 10/25/20 02:45 PM
Polychords as in two chords played on top of each other at the same time? Isn't that more of a music transcription shorthand than something played in popular music?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Poly chords - 10/25/20 03:40 PM
Jim, you are right about what it is. As far as shorthand, that’s right too. I can say polychords are used in jazz, particularly modal jazz. I’m not sure where the sound would be needed in ‘popular’ music.

The shorthand concept is why I suggested in an earlier thread about entering the notes on a keyboard and seeing if a more conventional spelling is possible. Sometimes it will be, but sometimes it will not.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Poly chords - 10/25/20 03:51 PM
Thank you for the response Matt.
Posted By: Dzjang Re: Poly chords - 10/26/20 01:43 PM
+1
Polychords, as in triads over triads, are sometimes heard in pop music, but rarely notated, at least I haven’t seen it yet.
Stevie Wonder plays lydian (CLydian) by stacking Bm on top of Ctriad.

Thing with polychords is... at this moment Biab isn’t able to play advanced chords right, not in the bass part, piano part and certainly not in the horns or strings parts.

And it doesn’t correctly interpret slash chords either.

Adding polychords with advanced polytonal structures would make for some very strange noise.

PGmusic should step up their game if they ever want to implement this.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Poly chords - 10/27/20 08:44 AM
I only had a quick look at these, but:
How would you work it in ? All the realtracks so far are recorded normal chords.
What format would these be entered in the chord sheet, with a D-CMaj7 D-Ab-G ?
How would the other instruments without polychords read them ?
How many polychords would you need to record along with the other chords in a realtrack ?
Maybe use midi that can duplicate the notes of one chord being played in the recorded material and fit them into the other omitting existing, and have another chord sheet layer for these chords ?????
Have you tried this with a MidiSuperTrack ?

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Poly chords - 10/27/20 09:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Dzjang
+1
Polychords, as in triads over triads, are sometimes heard in pop music, but rarely notated, at least I haven’t seen it yet.

Thing with polychords is... at this moment Biab isn’t able to play advanced chords right, not in the bass part, piano part and certainly not in the horns or strings parts.

Adding polychords with advanced polytonal structures would make for some very strange noise.

Does Band-in-a-Box support poly chords using midi if you write in poly chords?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Poly chords - 10/27/20 09:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Originally Posted By: Dzjang
+1

Does Band-in-a-Box support poly chords using midi if you write in poly chords?

Yes if you play a C triad in BiaB then in either notation or the piano roll view add the B-D-F# over the C-E-G. I would do that in a DAW because if you regenerate without freezing that track(s) you would loose everything you added. But that could be a long and tedious project.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Poly chords - 10/28/20 06:11 AM
Impro-Visor in free
55. Slash Chords and Polychords
Slash chords (which specify a bass note after the slash) are indicated with a forward slash, such as D/E.

Polychords (one chord stacked atop another) are indicated with a backward slash, such as D\Bb.

Biab Chords to ImproVisor
© PG Music Forums