PG Music Home
Hi,

when writing songs in 140 or more BPM, the 255 bars per song limitation will hit you in approximately 5 minutes - and sooner when you write above 140 BPM....especially in 3/4 signature.

This will not affect using the chorus method - only when you work in song form ABC...ect

So please allow the double or even more, I understand that the longer songfiles, the worse rendering and load time.

Could we say 510 bars for next version?
Hi. This is one of the oldest and most frequent requests here.

Some of us with a programming background think the limit of 255 is from the original file design, using space for 2 to the 8th, 256, which is 0-255 measures. If we could exceed that by giving the number of measures a larger number, then the next limits would be 511, 1023, etc. I hope it can happen.

And there is one condition that makes it even worse than your examples: if you change the timebase of a track to double-time.
I must admit I'm still a little surprised that this hasn't been addressed before now. It's a very long standing request.

+1
+1
+1
+1 ... again!
+1
You can do this in the BB Plugin
Over 255 Bars In Plugin v3

Just the current version of the Plugin needs a fix as it's cutting the last beat of the last bar off, hopefully should be fixed soon.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=628608#Post628608
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Here are 10 BB Plugins song sections.
New sections can be made by simply duplicating a track/s.
Tracks can be put in a folder.
It will show the chords of selected track only.
It can zoom selected section.
If you don't like a section, just regenerate all tracks for that section or a single instrument or a different style/key.
This is a lot quicker just regenerating the section of the song you need and not the whole BB song.
Each can have 16 sends.
You don't need to drag the wavs into Reaper, you can send them out to FX then render the Reaper project.
You can use the same track template for any project.
The magic in all this is being able to set the sync offset to start the BB Plugin at any bar, 1000 bars no problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2j7z5odmle7o9z/BBvst-Song-Sections.mp4?dl=0

PG Staff - don't forget this request - it should be a fairly easy fix.
Originally Posted By: Peters Garage

It is not an easy fix as this has been asked for for years now! I believe it is based on 8 bit technology! As I have said many times it is time for a complete rewrite.
+1 for expanding maximum bar limit beyond 255. While 255 appears to be more than enough bars the addition of options like 1/2 time, double and triple time make the maximum number of bars a moving target.
Yes, this is a good point Jim.

If one track is at double time, and the song is longer than 127 bars, that track stops playing at bar 127 while the remaining bars keep playing. Can be quite difficult to diagnose.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: Peters Garage

It is not an easy fix as this has been asked for for years now! I believe it is based on 8 bit technology! As I have said many times it is time for a complete rewrite.

Well we purchase the updates, and I guess that's what get the boat rolling - so the software programmers and engineers might figure a way out of a limitation from old days
I can get RealDrums and UserTracks to generate over 255 bars in Reaper but haven't got there yet with PG RealTracks.
You can do it with 2 instances of Biab, on BB1 disable the Ending on BB2 disable the count-in, now in BB1 just drag the Master to the center Drop and choose separate tracks and drag into DAW, in BB2 do the same.
It's easy with BBPlugin, but yes if you could do it staying in Biab would be good.
Full Screen

Attached File
Reaper-Over-255-Bars.gif  (67 downloads)
I don't need 2 instances of BIAB to do something as obvious - this should just be fixed instead of being hacked/workarounded grin
BB and The Workarounds come about after years of asking, pleading, fighting... to no avail.
Can't say for sure but the 255 bar limit is probably the single oldest wishlist item along with true 3/4 support and more than 4 chords per cell.

Yes, yes rail on about it please. Make all the comments you like, yell about how you're not going to buy any more upgrades, etc, etc. If it hasn't been fixed in 30 years, it ain't happening now. We've speculated for years about why with zero response from PG. Is it old code? Priorities? Laziness? Who knows?

Hence the workarounds.

Bob
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Can't say for sure but the 255 bar limit is probably the single oldest wishlist item along with true 3/4 support and more than 4 chords per cell.

Yes, yes rail on about it please. Make all the comments you like, yell about how you're not going to buy any more upgrades, etc, etc. If it hasn't been fixed in 30 years, it ain't happening now. We've speculated for years about why with zero response from PG. Is it old code? Priorities? Laziness? Who knows?

Hence the workarounds.

Bob

From following other threads, I am under the impression that PG do read along, and Peter Gannon himself do tend to answer some of the requests, maybe only for the chosen few, but at least answers :-)

A couple of years ago the bug fix support for Mac users had plenty of room for improvement, which was addressed in the forum, and actually PG Music has done some significant improvement on that piece.

Off course feature requests from users are always a matter of priorities, but the more asking for a specific change the higher likeliness for the fix/change will come in a future release - unless PG staff clearly refuse the claim as being non applicable.

I'm too hooked on BIAB to refuse myself the yearly upgrade - so until then all I can do is to keep this post alive from time to time

Cheers
Peter
As I said above, it’s now even worse than it was decades ago. The time base adjustments allow double or even triple time, so you run up against the 255 limit all the faster.
Stop upgrade BIAB yearly then PG will listen to your request. smile
© PG Music Forums