PG Music Home
there has been a fair bit of discussion as to why people stay in BIAB rather than use RB. Mainly because when you export BIAB tracks to RB or open an sgu or mgu file in RB the sound is not the same as the BIAB track. the sound loses something and even if you can get round the regeneration issue by exporting via drag and drop rather than opening the file in RB i am sure more people would use RB and avoid very complicated BIAB workarounds if RB could sound exactly like the BIAB version of the song.

obviously some users like the fx such as reverb stripped out so they can add their own fx. but some people - like me - add the reverb back as a first step. i had to create my own 'BIAB default' preset using a screen shot of the BIAB reverb setting!

but i think there are other things like compression or maybe eq hiding behind the tracks as even with reverb songs don't sound quite the same. i add fx in RB to get the sound i want anyway but it would be nice if when tracks are dragged and dropped the wav file had an option to include the BIAB fx so the sound was exactly the same when all tracks were exported and opened in RB.

am i right that there is more than reverb lost? or are my ears deceiving me?

<< Are my ears deceiving me? >>

Test and see.

Render a WAV file versus save a WAV file versus record the BIAB audio output then open the three files in RB or another DAW for a side by side comparison.
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
there has been a fair bit of discussion as to why people stay in BIAB rather than use RB. Mainly because when you export BIAB tracks to RB or open an sgu or mgu file in RB the sound is not the same as the BIAB track. the sound loses something and even if you can get round the regeneration issue by exporting via drag and drop rather than opening the file in RB i am sure more people would use RB and avoid very complicated BIAB workarounds if RB could sound exactly like the BIAB version of the song.

obviously some users like the fx such as reverb stripped out so they can add their own fx. but some people - like me - add the reverb back as a first step. i had to create my own 'BIAB default' preset using a screen shot of the BIAB reverb setting!

but i think there are other things like compression or maybe eq hiding behind the tracks as even with reverb songs don't sound quite the same. i add fx in RB to get the sound i want anyway but it would be nice if when tracks are dragged and dropped the wav file had an option to include the BIAB fx so the sound was exactly the same when all tracks were exported and opened in RB.

am i right that there is more than reverb lost? or are my ears deceiving me?

I stopped using Realband entirely upon learning it does not open BIAB songs and retain their frozen tracks. If memory serves I think RB also does not honor bar settings which was a major thing for me.
Just opening a BIAB song gets regeneration but drop and drag keeps the frozen track. And as for testing I wondered if anyone knew what hidden fx BIAB might be using.

I get a great sound in RB with just reverb for the RealTracks and add compression and a little tweak to the master mix with ozone and sdrr2 so my interest is academic but it might overcome some reservations about using RB.
© PG Music Forums