PG Music Home
Posted By: earl kirby Outline for learning BIAB - 01/10/21 11:02 PM
The support section provides us with a list of video's to learn BIAB. They are grouped into beginner, Intermediate, and advanced. The problem is that they don't follow any sensible order for one to progress through them in a sensible manner. It would be very helpful to have a list that would lead us through the list so we can learn the next best thing needed to better use the program.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Outline for learning BIAB - 01/10/21 11:45 PM
Earl Kirby,

The best introductory, how to use Band-in-a-Box, video series I've seen is offered by Groove3.com. They have a +++ 2015 Band-in-a-Box for Windows +++ and a +++ 2014 Band-in-a-Box for Mac +++. Groove 3 offers several payment options. Follow the links to learn more about the videos. PG Music also offers the videos +++ HERE +++ and +++ HERE +++

PG Music has created so many videos and the program changes just frequent enough to make preparing a list of how to videos in any other would be quite a challenge.

Several users have posted getting started videos on YouTube. Truthfully I would likely start with a YouTube search as it would include videos by PG Music and others.

+++ The Guitar Band Tutorials +++ offers pdf, videos, backing tracks made with RealTracks for free and song files for purchase.
Posted By: earl kirby Re: Outline for learning BIAB - 01/11/21 06:36 PM
Yes Jim, the Groove3 video is quite good for an introduction. And yes PG has created a large # of videos. I guess I'm spoiled by Reapers list of videos by kenny Goia. They have managed to create a large variety of videos but they have also managed to list them in easy to follow lists. It would seem that someone that is VERY knowledgeable a bout BIAB could simply sort out a list of the existing video's and let the rest of us know the simplest way to go through them and become experts themselves.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Outline for learning BIAB - 01/12/21 05:07 PM
Earl,

I've seen numerous people describe the Reaper videos by Kenny Goia as the perfect template to follow to build a video tutorial series for learning a DAW. Similarly there are a few video tutorial series for my DAW of choice, Cakewalk by BandLab, that follow a logical progression for learning that DAW.

The biggest question for a video series about Band-in-a-Box is what is important for the video series audience to know? Does the video series creator concentrate on using the chord sheet, the piano roll view, RealTracks, midi, recording audio, using the audio chord wizard, creating a melody, The Conductor, The Jukebox, importing midi songs, etc. Look through the forum and you'll see all of these things and more are discussed in detail.

How much detail should be provided in each segment? How long is too long for each segment? My fear is that by the time a video series has a good outline, the program will be changed enough the outline would have to be revised.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Outline for learning BIAB - 01/19/21 12:44 AM
+1
There are many solid videos available, however I agree that some kind of "sensible order for one to progress through them in a sensible manner." is needed.

One way I imagine it can be done is a step by step tutorials of actual song making. Explaining and auditioning items on the way. 3 songs... but not trying to throw a bunch of chords to make them "sound" like a song, but actually reverse engineer already made song. Intro, chorus, verse and all that good stuff. Efficient workflow is the key!

1)Basic tune - 10 minute video.
2)Intermediate tune - 15-30 minute video.
3)Advance tune - 45-60 mins.

Perhaps with links within a video to already created tutorial content, if one wants to expand the knowledge on particular topic.
----

There is a one item that I think should be waited out for smile Is when Utility tracks gain more controls as legacy tracks.... One of my biggest challenges with BIAB was and still is in a way, are the actual variation for specific parts. Limit is, that there were not enough tracks to do them on the fly (yes, there are workarounds, Hi Charlie)...but they are very counter intuitive, take long time and are not fluid as the whole concept of composing/arranging with BIAB. With Utility tracks, it got much better, but not there yet.
To me these Utility tracks, when they become fully flexible, are the missing piece of the puzzle to do most of composition work, trying out new things (not losing others) without leaving BIAB.

Ok, enough of my blabbering. Couple of years back I requested a workflow video and I believe Kent done a decent job on it. The only thing I didn't like is that he used "classic" (colorful) interface instead of minimalistic, but still it should totally work as Introduction to making a song in BIAB - Intermediate. If interested, here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9sben5x1M&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Outline for learning BIAB - 01/21/21 09:47 AM
Here's an older series that is a demonstration how one user builds a song starting in BIAB and moving the song into RB for a rough mix and adding and building tracks before finishing the song in Reaper. Interesting series with some good tips.

Band in a Box Song Series from YouTube
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Outline for learning BIAB - 01/21/21 10:42 AM
Earl,
Have you signed up for this?

Could be quite beneficial.
© PG Music Forums