PG Music Home
Posted By: unclefester Connecting two laptops - 01/20/21 07:44 PM
I would like to connect two laptops. they both have BIAB installed One is setup to play in "c" the other is for "Bb" What I want to happen is when you press play they start together. Hope this makes sense.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Connecting two laptops - 01/20/21 10:23 PM
UncleFester,

Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box.

I personally don't know of a way to do what you're asking and have doubts that it can, in fact, be done. However I'll be following this thread with great interest to see what suggestions are presented. This forum is blessed with some extremely knowledgeable and inventive people so I'm sure there will be some creative suggestions.

Curiosity on my part but do you mind sharing what goal you hope to accomplish? There may be an alternate way to achieve your goal.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Connecting two laptops - 01/20/21 11:21 PM
Maybe a MIDI keyboard with a MIDI THRU connection run to a different computer than the MIDI OUT connection? Not sure.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Connecting two laptops - 01/21/21 12:49 PM
UncleFester:

What about this idea - start with the BIAB file in the key that you want the music to sound in. (say C)
Input the Bb chords into the "Bar Lyrics Layer" right above the chords in the regular grid.
Now when you press Play, both sets of chords appear, always in sync.

If you need to have dual displays (if that's what the 2nd laptop is for), you can use the other laptop
as a "monitor" for the main one. There are lots of youtube videos that explain how to accomplish that.
Indeed, if that is the intent, you could also use a small (say 13") TV, and just HDMI the signal to it.

Good luck!
LLOYD S
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Connecting two laptops - 01/21/21 12:52 PM
Lloyd starts upon a good idea: Why do you want to do this?

If we knew that, it might help. To start with, is this just for display purposes or is there audio involved?
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Connecting two laptops - 01/22/21 11:23 AM
If you just want the "playback of both" C+Bb at the same time...
I think the easiest way would be to make arrangement in C and copy these arranged RT's to Utility tracks, if you have 2021 BIAB, if not there is a thing that is called Performance track, it just dumps mixed arrangement to a separate track... Utility tracks (and performance track) will not follow what is on the chord sheet if you make changes later, but will stay at your "C", but they will play in sync (start/stop) if you rewrite arrangement in Bb and press Play, both original C (that you copied to Utility tracks or Performance track) and newly made Bb should play at the same time. If I understood you correctly and this is the goal.
© PG Music Forums