PG Music Home
Posted By: Breeze Triplet Resolution-WISH LIST - 01/26/21 04:14 PM
Sometimes I painstakingly type in the melody for a particular song but shutter when I see that the way it's presented changes because the style that I'm using is a "swing" style. Apparently BIAB with automatically "check" "Triplet Resolution" if a swing style is selected. What this does is change the way the melody looks to the musician (and changes the way it was intended to be viewed by the composer). I am in favor of a way to tune this off (at least) for the melody. I've tried freezing the melody and this doesn't correct the issue. BIAB needs a way to override "Triplet Resolution" in terms of how the melody is presented in the Notation Window.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Triplet Resolution-WISH LIST - 01/26/21 04:23 PM
Agreed. There are manual ways to achieve this, but they can be painstakingly tedious (adjust notation beat-by-beat). There is also the Triplet Resolution option. I'm not sure if that assists?

Attached picture 2021-01-27_6-20-19.jpg
Posted By: Dave Re: Triplet Resolution-WISH LIST - 01/28/21 05:10 PM
A swing style needs triplet resolution to swing the melody. Rather than show every pair of eighth notes as triplets, sheet music is usually shown with even eighth notes and some form of instruction given to the reader to play the music as 'swing'. BIAB doesn't provide this instruction.

My keyboard player has a real problem with this, such that we now pencil in this notification, otherwise he plays it straight. The style name can sometimes tell you it is swing, but not always.

I can't tell from your original message if you want even eighths or swing eighths in your melody. But before you enter it, you can immediately see if the melody is swing or even. Each note has 4 lines in even and 3 in swing. This is defined in the style. When building a new style you have to check a box to identify if you want a JAZZ (ie swing / triplet) style.
Posted By: dunbar7376 Re: Triplet Resolution-WISH LIST - 01/31/21 03:45 AM
Hello All,

is there a way to replace a 4-beat bar with a triplet? Am I making sense?

Instead of 1-2-3-4, a chris-to-pher triplet over the same time that takes 4 beats?

dunbar7376
Tom Marvan.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Triplet Resolution-WISH LIST - 01/31/21 04:26 AM
Originally Posted By: dunbar7376
Hello All,

is there a way to replace a 4-beat bar with a triplet? Am I making sense?

Instead of 1-2-3-4, a chris-to-pher triplet over the same time that takes 4 beats?

dunbar7376
Tom Marvan.

Do you want to replace it in Notation, or in the Feel of the Style for the song?

In notation this is possible.

Changing a bar with a straight feel for a triplet feel using the same style is not possible from a configuration point as far as I am aware. Others may know more.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Triplet Resolution-WISH LIST - 01/31/21 09:39 AM
Dunbar/Tom, what you describe is a half-note triplet.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Triplet Resolution-WISH LIST - 01/31/21 09:58 AM
Yes, this:

Attached picture 2021-01-31_23-57-40.jpg
© PG Music Forums