PG Music Home
THE PROBLEM.
in bb (and rb) rt picker dialog one can only hear ones selection of rt as a pg demo , not playing with the chord song sheet the user has created.
thus when auditioning lots of RT's its very time consuming going to/fro tween picker to trak.
eg not likeing how it sits in the trak on playback thus going back to the picker to try another rt.
ie i want to stay in the picker UNTIL I FIND THE RT I WANT AND THEN LOAD IT ON THE TRAK !
sometimes i have to to/fro loads of times till i find an appropo rt that sits well within my chord structure/song.

THE SOLUTION.
in bb and rb there needs to be a SPECIFIC button feature in the INDIVIDUAL RT picker dialog (assign RT dialog) that says
"AUDITION SELECTED RT WITH CHORD SHEET".
ie STAYING IN THE PICKER TILL I FIND THE BEST RT I LIKE.

sorry but the above has bugged me for a long long time.

best
muso
ps also please note my other bb (and rb) wishes not yet implemented. sigh.
Good idea!
+1
+1
+1
I can see definite benefits with that approach.

+1
Can you not audition the tracks from within your song? Click the track in the mixer window. You are offered several options including real tracks (best, chording, soloist, previously used). when you find a candidate and select it, it will generate and play. Only the selected track is generated (as far as I can see). If you don't like it, repeat the process and eventually save the song (or not)
Dave.
i do that currently.
the PROBLEM is too much menu clicking etc.
when the dialogs appear doing that in the mixer, once again in the dialog one can only hear the selected RT with pg demo,
and NOT the chord sheet. in order to hear with chord sheet,
one has to clik OK GENERATE .
once again too much tooing/froing.
I WANT TO AUDITION IN THE DIALOG, rather than all the clicking/tooing/froing/generating.
ie procedure as follows. eg fav chording.
1. right clik on mixer trak.
2. select fav RT's for chording in menu.
3. in dialog that appears , clik on favs one at a time,
and they play with chord sheet. once happy with selection.
ONLY THEN >>
4. generate to mixer trak.
see what i mean ? save lots of time.
in conclusion AUDITION RT (best/favs/chording/soloist whatever) in DIALOG till one is happy.

best
muso.
I guess it depends on your definition of "Lots of time".
For me, I tend to look at the descriptions of the track, and possibly the tempo. Pick one that looks as if it might work, and give it a try. You probably have favourites - start with those (you probably already do). Keep a record of good / bad tracks to limit your initial selection. It isn't hard, and it can be enjoyable. This is what music is all about. It's not about speed. Identifying a track that might work for another project is as important as finding one for the current. With COVID and shutdowns, time should not be a commodity that is issue.
Dave.
we all have different work methods.
for example right now for a complex song i have , over the last few days , auditioned hundreds of RT's. picking in the picker, then generating and playing back with my chord structure.
very time consuming the way i do it.
the issue is that auditioning the RT in the picker with a pg demo in a certain key is different from the key of my song. and the other aspect is the "sound picture" of the RT can change from demoing the RT in the picker pg demo to then my original song key.
for example, the other day, i listened to a soloist in the pg demo key, and went "meh" , but THEN
brought said soloist into my chord structure , and went "kapow" with some daw massageing.
thus its a pretty involved process i use. because i dont want to miss special "accidents".
i might go through RT's a thousand times, cause that way i get accidental "song oictures" that fit my original song.
i dont just say "well i'm doing a rok song" so i'll keep to a few fav rok soloists or backing RT's.
in summary in any song i might be toing/froing a thousand times, and generating same number.
IF I DONT DO THAT I MISS INTERESTING SOUND PICTURES THAT ADD INTEREST TO A SONG.
thus for me, i need in dialog auditioning with my chord structure. i have thousands of RT's to pick from.
the other issue is, if bb becomes OIAB (orchestra in a box) one day, as i suspect it will, the RT data base will be massive. thus auditioning in dialog is going to be even more important imho as more RT's are added over time.
of course this wasnt an issue years ago when there were fewer RT's.
best
muso

© PG Music Forums