PG Music Home
Band in a Box is a software with no rival, no competitors, is only-type and is awesome, yes, you can have a band in a box literally... Every edition comes with amazing new features and is very plentfull that PG launching new REAL TRACKS constantly... I know, all his intentions are focused on this, but they pass for one of the most important things in every product... The aestethics!
Band in Box 2021 looks almost exactly as the first BB, the changes introduced on 2019 (I think) weren't big changes... in results BB looks old, as a software from Windows 98...remember that?

I suggest it's time to dedicate time to all the graphic interface, hire good designers and think about a better ergonomic presentation, with a modern and fresher look. I know that you can do it, and this can helps to more sales, and for us the users feeling more comfortable...I suggest to, the ergonomics, think about new distribution of all components, and how we interact with they this can improve the production work.

It's my modest opinion, but I think many of the readers here, will share it.

Thanks PG for this freakin awesome software...do it better!!!
+1
This has been going on for a while See Here, there has been lots of changes.
One of the forum members Rustyspoon# creates GUI examples,
you might be best to suggest some layout ideas and maybe he could make an example up.
The more users that can pitch in with ideas the better.
A big welcome, David

Because of the way the old GUI worked, I came up with this suggestion in 2016
Since then some concepts have been taken on board, but there are always continual ways to improve.
Yes, some great ideas here by Videotrack to clean up the interface substantially. Even without any work to redo the menu organization, this technique would be very welcome.

To the OP, the BIAB GUI was revised in 2018.
+1
Definitely giving this another +1. Modern interfaces are important components of any system.
A Nashville producer told me
"Myself, I find the user interface to BIAB one of the most confounding, and downright biggest UI messes ever, but that's just me. But... that is a great program in terms of what it can do and those real tracks they use now, sound more realistic than anything anyone has going. It really is fantastic."
mind you this was a long time ago and there have been many improvements such as ideas from VT's video implemented, but yes it's time for a more professional GUI.
With all the tracks in there now maybe more like a DAW or at least have some modular layouts that the user can move the elements around and save as a layout along with the skins.
It's just that a lot of the old 8.3 255 limitations are still there.
The more I type the more Déjà vu there is, "haven't I been here before ?"
+1

However... a question and elaboration.
David, are you using "minimalistic" view or "old view" (with big buttons)?
If you using older theme, try switching to minimalistic view, you might be pleasantly surprised.

To PG defense, Minimalistic view is pretty current/modern. Nothing crazy sticks out. Some small elements, such as the upper "status" colorful bar, I wish to have an option of hiding, otherwise it is pretty clean. David, also, if you are unaware, there is a way of customizing colors, elements and even transport buttons.

Having said that, I believe many (most!) Menu boxes have to be updated and in some cases consolidated.(frames, text font, check boxes and layout in some cases) And most importantly pickers. There are several pickers that have very different views and filters. I wish there would be a single picker for all creative content. Which would make a lot of things more unified and intuitive.

Mixer has undergone fairly complex makeover in 2021, but there is still some room for improvement, such as "magnetic" docking and smooth auto hide as in one of user Videotrack concepts.
Yes!
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
With all the tracks in there now maybe more like a DAW or at least have some modular layouts that the user can move the elements around and save as a layout along with the skins.
It's just that a lot of the old 8.3 255 limitations are still there.
The more I type the more Déjà vu there is, "haven't I been here before ?"

This and other reasons that I'm sure you all know is why I would like a complete rewrite. Lets bring the entire program into the 21st century.
How do I find the minimalistic view? Missed that option.
Press Control and the letter t at the same time on your computer keyboard. Ctrl+T

If you have a Mac, I believe it is Command and the letter t.

The command is a toggle between the classic view and the minimal view.

Description: Classic View
Attached picture Clipboard01.png

Description: Minimal View
Attached picture Clipboard02.png
You can also toggle using the little rectangle icons, a bit below the Master radio button, to the left of DAW.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
the BIAB GUI was revised in 2018.

There is a lot more to the GUI than just the main screen. The massive nested dialog windows need a massive redesign!
This:

Attached picture 2021-02-19_23-05-40.jpg
You can also toggle using the little rectangle icons, a bit below the Master radio button, to the left of DAW.
This:

Attached picture 2021-02-19_23-05-40.jpg
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

There is a lot more to the GUI than just the main screen. The massive nested dialog windows need a massive redesign!
You might have missed a few of my comments over the last 25 years.
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

You might have missed a few of my comments over the last 25 years.

Just goin' on what you said most recently. I would argue the GUI was NOT revised in 2018. Just a facelift on the main screen. But the moment you click the Preferences option you are in a rat's nest maze of Windows 95 era dialog boxes and serious inconsistency between the various sub windows. Of course, as a power user you know this well too.
I do.

My post was just giving the OP the date of which he was unsure.
Thank you.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Press Control and the letter t at the same time on your computer keyboard. Ctrl+T

If you have a Mac, I believe it is Command and the letter t.

The command is a toggle between the classic view and the minimal view.

Oh you use the skin i have made years ago for win 7 ^^ (I mean the skin for the OS not BB)
I have updated it but i can share it cause i forgotten how to make a correct package for to share it in uxstyle :p
Windows 95-era? I thought it was a holdover from Atari...
I mostly use the VST in Studio One, so my GUI is primarily Studio One. Look at how long it took Cakewalk to get the Skylight GUI for Sonar Xn stable. And it was still a lot of 8.5 underneath. BiaB is what it is, and is pretty good at it. I want more RealTracks, more RealDrums, more styles, more of what it's currently great at. I don't even install RealBand. Can Not Stand The Way It Looks.

I think the combination of the BiaB VST and a DAW of choice eliminates the need for a complete GUI overhaul.
© PG Music Forums