PG Music Home
Hello,

once again I struggled to get an instrument assigned to a track.

This time it was about assigning a midi drum to a Drum track that had a real drum.

I tried directly to assign a midi drums to the drum track (standard drum kit), but the change of instrument was not carried out, without any error or warning message.

I tried different settings or actions, like “revert track to Style instrument”. Without success.

I finally found the action "Force Drums track to midi drums" and it fell into place.

But admit that all of this is a bit of a draw!
A little longer, and the user will be asked to run a DOS command line before they can change track instruments ...

For me actions like "Revert track to style Instrument", "Force drum track to midi drums", "No real / midi instrument for this track" ... should not appear in the user interface and should be implied when selecting another type of instrument (or that the track is erased).

Instead of what if we do not do it explicitly, the change of instrument does not work without knowing why. And we fumble for a while before we find the right option.

From my point of view (that of a user who wants an intuitive approach, without having to guess the logic of the developers), there is no need to explicitly ask that we will change the instrument. It will be enough to simply change instruments!

It is the developer who must think like a user and not the user who must be made to think like a developer.

Keep in mind that if I make this type of remark, it is because I like BIAB by the way.
+1

Keeping in the vain of assignment of instrument to tracks I would like to add carry that over to from BiaB to a DAW. For instance if BiaB has a violin track it should show up as violin in your DAW and not for example labeled guitar.

{edit} I know this is an old request but it is one that would help me tremendously. It also has a lot in common with Rustyspoon's wish list thread.

+1
Another example of why I try to do as little in BIAB as possible. Anything I can do in my DAW will always be a much better user experience!
The observations of a new user can be very valuable. +1
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
+1
Another example of why I try to do as little in BIAB as possible. Anything I can do in my DAW will always be a much better user experience!

That is my workflow also.
Strongly agree, I have been frustrated with this problem also.
+1
+1

Also consider to make it much more intuitive to choose additional MIDI tracks, the work flow on how to get the right MIDI instrument from the correct track has given me more grey hair than I already have.
© PG Music Forums