PG Music Home
For Real styles, especially for those with horns and strings, it would be nice to have the option of selecting the first and last chorus to become similar, just like in real arrangements (of a tune).

It would be ok, first to set the number of choruses and then select “make the first and last chorus similar".

It would also be nice to be able to copy the whole top note line of e.g. the “real horn lines” to the soloist track in one go, in order to be able to “thicken” the lines by e.g. the flute.

This would make a standard style sound really arranged!

Hope you can cooperate these two whishes into BiaB.
Thanks in advance,
Tonnie van der Heide
Bergen, Norway
This seems reasonable. Often it is ideal to return to the same variations of a style when taking the song towards its ending (last chorus).

+1
I first want to say I fully support your wishes but in regard to your second wish,
"It would also be nice to be able to copy the whole top note line of e.g. the “real horn lines” to the soloist track in one go, in order to be able to “thicken” the lines by e.g. the flute."
---------
According to what year release version one has of BIAB, RealTrack "thicken" feature has been an included feature for the last several years. My year version is 2021 and I confirmed it's available for all the Legacy Channels including the Drums, Soloist and Melody Channels by two methods.

1. Rt click in the description area of a channel, select Track Settings, Duplicate RealTracks (To Thicken Sound....).
A range of 0 to 10 duplicate RealTracks can be added to thicken the sound.

2. Alternately, open up the RealTracks Picker, select the Medley Button to add and edit duplicate tracks to thicken the sound.
Charlie is correct to mention that "thicken" function, and in my opinion it never got the publicity it deserves.

As to varying styles and the first and last chorus, I'm just checking, Tonnie, that you know about the checkbox to allow the 'busier' B substyle in middle choruses. Options, Preferences, Overrides, Vary Style in Middle Choruses.

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
According to what year release version one has of BIAB, RealTrack "thicken" feature has been an included feature for the last several years. My year version is 2021 and I confirmed it's available for all the Legacy Channels including the Drums, Soloist and Melody Channels by two methods.

1. Rt click in the description area of a channel, select Track Settings, Duplicate RealTracks (To Thicken Sound....).
A range of 0 to 10 duplicate RealTracks can be added to thicken the sound.

2. Alternately, open up the RealTracks Picker, select the Medley Button to add and edit duplicate tracks to thicken the sound.

Charlie,

THANK YOU for this tip! I think I recall this but it never stuck in my head. It is an awesome way to thicken a track. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

1) Is the result of this technique similar to what I would get if I put the same RealTrack on multiple tracks?

2) Does BIAB successfully manage this to avoid the same riff from being played on multiple medley tracks at the same time? I noticed when I put the same RealTrack on two different tracks and pan them left and right, BIAB usually uses a different riff on each track but occasionally it messes up and plays the identical riff at the same time which causes the panning to disappear and the volume of the tracks to increase for that period of time. The reason I'm curious is the thickening feature allows up to 10 medley tracks to be used and I would be surprised if there are enough unique riffs to ensure no duplication.

3) Once you do this is there any way to separate back out the individual parts of the medley? I could see me wanting to export them as separate audio files for my DAW mix.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
<< 1) Is the result of this technique similar to what I would get if I put the same RealTrack on multiple tracks? >>

The end result you hear is the same as RealTracks on multiple tracks. It's a mix with panning and volume level control of each track. The result is similar to what you hear from an Aux send on an analog mixer or monitoring a bus mix in a DAW.

<< 2) Does BIAB successfully manage this to avoid the same riff from being played on multiple medley tracks at the same time? I noticed when I put the same RealTrack on two different tracks and pan them left and right, BIAB usually uses a different riff on each track but occasionally it messes up and plays the identical riff at the same time which causes the panning to disappear and the volume of the tracks to increase for that period of time. The reason I'm curious is the thickening feature allows up to 10 medley tracks to be used and I would be surprised if there are enough unique riffs to ensure no duplication. >>

It's likely there will be the occasional duplicate riffs using that many instrument tracks because each track is pulling from a set amount of pre recorded material.

<< 3) Once you do this is there any way to separate back out the individual parts of the medley? I could see me wanting to export them as separate audio files for my DAW mix.>>

The intention is designed to complete this task solely within BIAB and if the track is exported, the default is to be the mix of all the instruments as programmed. But yes, there's a workaround.

In the newer versions that have the panning and volume level adjustment included. Setting a track's volume to -64 results in that track being muted. If you had a medley, to separate each individual instrument, freeze the track, set the db on each track but the first to -64 so only the first track will be heard, play and export that track. Then, select the track and open RealTrack Picker, select the Medley, reduce the volume of the first track to -64, set the volume of the second track to 0, play and export, and keep repeating this process for each individual instrument you want to separate and export to a DAW. I just tried it with a couple of instruments and it worked.

Just note that the panning and volume feature has only been included in the Medley for the past few years. 2019 or newer I believe.
Thanks Charlie! This could be very handy! Love that workaround too!
Matt,

Thanks for your tip!

Tonnie
Matt,

I had this checked already!

By thickening, I meant instrument wise. The thickening of a tracks, I have used, but mainly for strings.

Tonnie
© PG Music Forums