PG Music Home
Posted By: mcm Dolby Atmos - 07/10/21 08:44 AM
I wish BiaB and/or RealBand would include the Dolby Atmos capabilities: 360 surround would be a major addition.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Dolby Atmos - 07/10/21 04:36 PM
Nice wish but I don't agree.

Dolby Atmos and surround sound are first and foremost video standards. They, like the competing DTS standard, are designed to enrich the audio heard in movie soundtracks and home theater.

The equipment and room treatment required to support mixing Atmos, DTS and surround sound audio is much more expensive than the requirements for "standard" mono and stereo audio.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Dolby Atmos - 07/11/21 03:40 AM
You can send multichannels from the BBPlugin and render to multichannel audio.

Attached picture BBPlugin-Multichannel-Audio.png
Posted By: mcm Re: Dolby Atmos - 07/27/21 02:49 PM
I understand the cost aspect for the user, and for PGMusic...

Here is what I intend to do:
1. Create a song with BiaB
2. Create multiple WAV files
3. Replace some tracks by my own, and voice(s)
4. Position them into a Dolby Atmos renderer (5.1 or 7.1)
5. Listen to all that with standard stereo headphones
6. And then decide if I want to use my home 5.1 system, or buy Dolby Atmos Headphones or more.
I fully understand the cost to PGMusic.

But would'nt it be a major advance to be able to position BiaB instruments beyond our wildest dreams.

I am a senior person, I saw the 78, 45 33 vinyls, the 8-tracks, the CD, the DVD's and what else.
But Dolby Atmos (or any 3D 360 or surround) is my future.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Dolby Atmos - 07/27/21 05:09 PM
I'm not sure you would be able to determine much from listening to 5.1 and 7.1 renders on stereo headphones. You certainly wouldn't be able to obtain a decent 5.1 or 7.1 mix using stereo headphones.

I had a grand quadraphonic (4 channel) recording and listening system that was capable of handling discrete 4 channel, CD-4, SQ Matrix and the other 4 channel matrix system. I even had 4 channel headphones. While I listened some to the individual channels to learn, the songs didn't sound right unless all four channels were playing. I've also listened to isolated tracks of songs available on the internet and it's pretty much the same.

To me your explanation is similar to listening to isolated tracks from a song. Isolated tracks are wonderful as a learning tool to break down the individual instruments and vocals in a song. But you'll be starting your song with isolated tracks so I don't understand what would be gained.

I'd love to better understand your vision.
© PG Music Forums