PG Music Home
Posted By: dr_t Automated key change progression - 08/23/21 12:46 PM
So.. I have a song that starts in one key and, later on, it changes to another key. But I'm not a professional jazz/gospel keyboard player so I don't know any really good progressions to move from one key to another (just a couple of really basic techniques).

I would LOVE to see a feature, rather like the auto-intro generator, that will automatically create a key change progression for me, and create another one if I don't like it, and so on. And, like the intro generator, it'd be nice if I could specify how many bars the progression should run for.

For example, if I have a song in C and the melody finishes on a C chord at bar 16, then I have the melody starting again at bar 17 (on an E chord) in the key of E, I'd like to be able to click on bar 17 (the new key signature) and choose an option to auto-generate a key change progression of, say, 3 bars, from bar 16 (which was in C) going from the key of C to E.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Automated key change progression - 08/23/21 01:00 PM
Welcome to the forum. You are looking for a feature to generate and insert modulations.

I congratulate you because to my knowledge no one has requested this before. You can insert bars, and you can insert a new key signature, but you now have to write the chords to accomplish the modulation. This would be nice to be able to ask BIAB to construct that and specify the starting point and duration.

Although BIAB has an Undo feature, it would be important to make sure it works for this feature.

+1
Posted By: MarioD Re: Automated key change progression - 08/23/21 02:14 PM
Good idea.

+1

PS - This would work very well with the regenerate only a few bars wish. One could regenerate the modulation measures until they find one they like.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Automated key change progression - 08/23/21 04:03 PM
Mario, yes.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Automated key change progression - 08/23/21 05:25 PM
<< I would LOVE to see a feature, rather like the auto-intro generator, that will automatically create a key change progression for me, and create another one if I don't like it, and so on. And, like the intro generator, it'd be nice if I could specify how many bars the progression should run for. >>

BIAB has this feature and it will do all that you list above and more.

It's BIAB calls the Medley Maker and is located in the Tools Toolbar|Songform|Medley Maker. It specifically create song modulation transitions at user defined number of bars and these transitions can be either regenerated any number of times like the intro generation does or the automatic transition generations can be overwritten by the user to their own choice of chords.

It can either create a medley from:
1. Different SGU song files.

Or because the user can stipulate the start bar and number of bars to play and the number of bars to transition,

2. BIAB can create a Medley from different sections of bars from a single SGU file determined by the user selecting specific start of bars and lengths to play while creating a transition between the sections.

Note that in the Medley Maker screen shot with song data, that the same song is used in each 'song' and file selection and only the start bar, total number of bars and the number of transition bars are input and updated. This causes the Medley Maker to play each 'song' although it comes from a single SGU file, to play the specified bars between the modulation transitions.

When the user completes input of the songs information or sections to play and then selects the Make Medley Now Button, BIAB creates a temporary new SGU file to play the user programmed Medley. The Medley SGU file can be rendered and it can also be saved as it's own SGU file.

I've attached a Link to BIAB Medley Maker tutorial. Note, there are two Medley Makers included in BIAB but the other utilizes RealTracks. Both are included in the tutorial video from 2019.

Band In A Box for Windows: Medley Maker

Screen Shots:
1. Original SGU file
2. Song Form Icon
3. Medley Maker Screen with Song data completed
4. The Medley Maker SGU file

Attached picture 1_Original SGU.png
Attached picture 2_Song Form Icon.png
Attached picture 4_Medley Maker Screen with songs.png
Attached picture 5_Medley Maker SGU Screen.png
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Automated key change progression - 08/23/21 05:27 PM
'What we have here is a failure to communicate.'

Thank you Charlie!!!
Posted By: dr_t Re: Automated key change progression - 08/23/21 06:13 PM
Thanks very much for the detailed explanation smile

I'm going to have to sit down and go through this carefully... this looks like being a game-changer!
Posted By: dr_t Re: Automated key change progression - 08/24/21 12:40 PM
Ahhh great! BIAB for Mac doesn't have a Medley Maker option under the Song Form button frown
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Automated key change progression - 08/24/21 02:33 PM
Originally Posted By: dr_t
Ahhh great! BIAB for Mac doesn't have a Medley Maker option under the Song Form button frown

Oh my. Well a big Plus One from me it being on the Wish list. It's perfect for the task. PC or Mac.
© PG Music Forums