PG Music Home
Band in a box can not read, write or display odd meters.

Sad thing since (jazz) music has evolved since last century.

Yamaha and Korg both have accomodated compound rhythms for World music since the early 2000’s.

Why not have this here, it would suit Indian and Arab music, but would be nice for jazz too.

+1. It's a great idea. It would open Band-in-a-Box to a world, no pun intended, of style possibilities.
I have been wishing for time signatures other than 2/4, 3/4 or 4/4 for years!

A BIG +1
There are a few styles in 5 and 7 and such, in the "Ethnic Foods" aisle. But it sure would be nice to be able to specify an arbitrary time signature.
Definitely would get a favorable response.

+1
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
There are a few styles in 5 and 7 and such, in the "Ethnic Foods" aisle. But it sure would be nice to be able to specify an arbitrary time signature.

There is also some 6/8 and 12/8 styles BUT when you export them into a DAW they go as 4/4 or 3/4. This is what I have been wishing for, real odd meters.

Some of those time signatures do export from RealBand as the original meters but I would love to have this feature in BiaB.
Even for the existing 5 and 7 styles, it’s not possible to write melodies correctly in notation.
Having odd meters should mean: proper chord chart, notation and midi and musicxml export.

Works for Yamaha and Korg, except they don’t have Band in a Box’ flexibility, chord sheet, notation or possibility to make styles of your own. (They do, but it’s harder and you do it on a small keyboard screen or with a workaround in a daw that requires some intricate text entries into the midi files).

Yes, currently 5/4 time signatures are unreadable when printed.
+1000!

I can't use BIAB as much as I would otherwise because of this.
+1 along with all the other limitations from the 8.3 DOS days, the current time signature limitation are ingrained in so many parts of BB, maybe a re-write would be better.

As I mentioned, this would be easy to do in the BiabVST, if it did all the functions directly in the BiabVST rather that calling on the BBW4 app running in the background (that is basically Biab).
This will give real time signatures, more chords per bar, instant gen/re-gen/play any section and decimal tempo maps, the development will be at lightning speed as it won't be limited by the limitations of Biab and the time "waiting" for the developers to implement that side of the BiabVST functions in BBW4, bye bye BBW4 hello all in one BiabVST advanced features.
Yes, real time signatures has been an ongoing request for many years. Maybe one day they could be delivered.
Remembering this thread...

I've been importing a lot of classical MIDIs lately, and have gotten used to the blizzard of messages about "Whoa – 17/8? Doing that in 4/4!"

The effect can be super cool, the way BIAB slams a metrically complex piece into a simpler framework can be amazing.

BUT it sure would be nice to import a Stravinsky piece and have the changing meter actually followed.
© PG Music Forums