PG Music Home
Posted By: Sironedragon quarter note triplets - 09/23/21 06:31 AM
Hi the few times I have tried to write quarter triplets are using band in the box I haven’t had much fortune writing quarter note triplets eighth triplets are easy to do 16th triplets are difficult and and 30 second of this that would be nice to do triples 30 second I’m not sure if I’ll ever do that but my question is if other peopleoo are having a rough time writing a quarter note triplets do you think maybe the programmers can devise a way to make it easy for us to do thank you
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: quarter note triplets - 09/23/21 10:42 AM
Firstly, welcome to the neighborhood.

Writing triplet notation can be tricky in BiaB. I have been successful with other beat resolutions many times, but quarter-note triplets, not so. I don't really know the correct formula.

Others may be able to offer some better ideas.
Posted By: Sironedragon Re: quarter note triplets - 09/28/21 03:59 AM
Thanks for your reply. i do have method but would like to go a more acturate way
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: quarter note triplets - 09/28/21 12:37 PM
I do triplets by using the Editable Notation Mode and right-clicking on each note, then adjusting the start timing of each note.

There are a few considerations, including whether there is any offset for an instrument (for example, I set Vibes to play earlier). Also what resolution you select for your MIDI. The default is 120 per quarter note, and I rarely change it. You get used to the math quickly.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: quarter note triplets - 09/28/21 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I do triplets by using the Editable Notation Mode and right-clicking on each note, then adjusting the start timing of each note.

Matt, have you had any success with quarter note triplets using this method?
Posted By: Dave Re: quarter note triplets - 09/29/21 05:05 PM
I just change the program to run in triplet mode {Notation>options>Triplet resolution} when I want he triplets, and turn it back to 16th when I have finished. The print out is crappy, but the notes are evenly spaced, so they sound OK. If the printed output is important, just pick a swing style for printing and back to the original style for playing.

There is a way to change individual notes to / from triplets, but I always found more cumbersome
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: quarter note triplets - 10/17/21 06:39 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Matt, have you had any success with quarter note triplets using this method?

I'm really sorry this one got away from me. Too much to do.

Yes, you can enter these using Editable Notation Mode.

First, I assume 'quarter note triplets' to mean three notes played in the time that two straight quarter notes would sound. Second, this assumes the default setting of 120 ticks per quarter note.

Enter three notes anywhere in the first two beats, then edit them as follows by right-clicking on each note:

First note: starts on Beat 1, Tick 0.
Second note: starts on Beat 1, Tick 80.
Third note: starts on Beat 2, Tick 40.

Adjust the duration of all three notes to be the same, such as 60 for a legato sound (60 out of the possible length of 80).

Continuing for another triplet over beats three and four:

First note: starts on Beat 3, Tick 0.
Second note: starts on Beat 3, Tick 80.
Third note: starts on Beat 4, Tick 40.

If you change BIAB to triplet resolution, these will appear on screen correctly.

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: quarter note triplets - 10/17/21 10:04 PM
Thanks for the update, appreciated.

I can see that the triplet resolution is the trick to get the display to present correctly.
© PG Music Forums