PG Music Home
Not that I wouldn't like Jazz - in fact, I do like it very much - but for specific practicing purposes (or probably even for specific creation purposes), the "De-Jazz Chords" function (in my German BiaB it is named "Akkorde entjazzen", so I guess that in the English version it is named "De-Jazz Chords") is very welcome.

But: Unfortunately this feature seems to work only once for the same song.

So if there's for example a C9 in my song, the "de-jazz chords" feature turns it into a C7. But if I use the "de-jazz chords"-function again, that C7 will not turn into a C then. So it seems that an already de-jazzed song can't be de-jazzed again / further de-jazzed.

Since I'd like to be able to automatically turn all chords of a song into triads, it would be great if the "de-jazz chords" function would work again for an already once de-jazzed song.
Good point. I tried to explain this earlier also. Real Tracks are recordings of real artists. They may take personal licence to embellish performances in their own ways. When it comes to a 'straight' performance, this can be different to what is expected.
Hey VideoTrack,

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, in particular since the limitation does not only apply to Realtracks. - You think the limitation to only one dejazz-step exists because of licensing aspects? I'd think that it's more probable that the reason is of some kind of technical nature?
I don't mean a 'legal license', I mean how the musician feels that they want their performance to sound. In other words, how they might put their own 'stamp' on their music by playing a musical phrase in a certain way.

Whether based on RealTracks or MIDI, it is still a musical 'performance'.
Here is the correspondence I am having with another forum member:

"Originally Posted By: swingbabymix

Originally Posted By: MarioD
The only way to get exactly what you want is to either edit audio in a program like Melodyne or to edit MIDI in the piano roll view or the notation view. [quote]

Yes, sir.
Now listen to the video and you will understand what I mean [quote]

My friend I did listen to your video.

What the program gives you is what it has and that isn't necessarily what you want. Sometimes you can get closer by regenerating but even that may not be what you want. Thus my answer.

In your video case one would put the track into the polyphonic version of Melodyne, delete the section you don't want, and then extend the notes of the chord that you do want.

I use mostly MIDI but I run into situations like this all of the time. In my DAW I modify tracks into something that I want.

BiaB is an excellent program but it may not give you the exact results that you want. That's just the way it is. YMMV
----------------------------------------------------
I hope this helps.
I'm venturing into an area I do not know well here, but isn't BIAB based on a C7 chord pattern when styles are made? The exception would be some very simple classical or folk styles. If I'm right, 'reducing' to a 7th chord is as 'low' (simple) as it goes.

Interestingly, I sometimes use upper extensions to force what I want. If BIAB is giving me an occasional major seventh when I write x7, sometimes x9 works better to force a dominant seventh. Just a little obscure factoid.
VideoTrack, I'm really not sure if we are talking about the same thing. And that applies even more for Mario. So I conclude that I probably haven't explained good enough what I mean.

Let's say that I (beginner at the piano) use the chords generator in the melody maker and want to playalong with only triads - 7th chords would disturb my clear view onto what I'd have to play and they would also sound a bit different from what I'd play then.

The chords are chosen by the AI, not by the musician who had recorded the style patterns. And for sure, the musician had also recorded a triad, but the AI just has chosen a 9th-chord here. So what has the recording artist of the style pattern to do with that?

And still, what should that musician have against it at all? Isn't that exactly what the style patterns are meant for? Using them for progressions that you like to use them for? And btw: if he really would have something against it, why would he then be ok with one step of de-jazzing, which would also be already quite a significant modification?
Hey Matt,

you mean that BiaB can't go lower than a 7th-chord? I don't think so, since the first step of de-jazzing would turn an original C7 into a C.
Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove
Hey Matt,

you mean that BiaB can't go lower than a 7th-chord? I don't think so, since the first step of de-jazzing would turn an original C7 into a C.
I agree but I wasn't willing to say that is the case for the jazz styles. I like your proposal, to let the 'subtraction/simplification' process work each time and be cumulative.

Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove
VideoTrack, I'm really not sure if we are talking about the same thing. And that applies even more for Mario. So I conclude that I probably haven't explained good enough what I mean.

Let's say that I (beginner at the piano) use the chords generator in the melody maker and want to playalong with only triads - 7th chords would disturb my clear view onto what I'd have to play and they would also sound a bit different from what I'd play then.

The chords are chosen by the AI, not by the musician who had recorded the style patterns. And for sure, the musician had also recorded a triad, but the AI just has chosen a 9th-chord here. So what has the recording artist of the style pattern to do with that?

OK I understand now. I thought that you were typing in the chords but I see now that you were having the chords generator in the melody maker generating the chords. My bad.

Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

+1
Hey Mario,

no problem & I'm glad that I could explain it better now ;-)
Thanks also for the clarification. I hadn't completely understood the intent previously.

Does the simplification option (force song to simple arrangement) assist in any way?

Attached picture 2021-10-01_23-41-39.jpg
I've just tried it, VideoTrack, and the result: I don't think so.

It's difficult to say what the combination of "Force Song to simple arrangement" and then "De-Jazz Chods" does exactly, but after using this combination there are still 7ths in the arrangement.
I've thought about other cases where I could need a "Double-Dejazz"-function, and those would indeed use an existing song as a basis:

1) Loading a BiaB Demo-Song and then making the chords as rudimental as possible
2) Importing a song from a midi file and then making the chords as rudimental as possible

Both for the same purpose again: Playalong only with triads - just like the approach of "Easy Fake Books".

So what do you think about these cases? Legit or not legit?
© PG Music Forums