PG Music Home
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to print in one go the full score and each instrument part? Right now all is limited to one step at the time. I love it as is but would be awesome to have this feature as well.
This is a feature typically found in music notation programs. It is important not only to print a score, or parts, but also the ability to edit a part and see that change reflected in the score, or vice versa.

Just checking, did you know that the free MuseScore reads BIAB song files directly? Also, for other notation programs, you can export BIAB songs as MIDI or, usually better, Music XML?
Yes, I use Musescore and it works great. I'll try, as I didn't know about direct import. Thank you so much for the tip.
Yes, exporting directly to MuseScore is a great feature of BIAB, little known. It gives you lots of power that does not need to be added to BIAB. However, this is the Wishlist, and your wish is perfectly reasonable. I don't mean to diminish it. I just tend to use many tools and use the best one for each task.
It does not work to open a biab file directly from 2019 with Musescore 3 updates, found a tread in Musescore forum that explains the same issues I am finding.
Perhaps a way forward would be to be able to export utility tracks in xml format along the usual tracks, xml imports very well into musescore.

The wish is about being able to make the process more efficient, and biab has got the elements already, it just needs that little extra tool.
Oh, if a change in MuseScore makes this no longer work, that’s unfortunate. I’ll have to check later. You could still export Music XML.
I just ran an experiment with the latest Musescore 3 and a BiaB song.

The MIDI version of the song printed the full score, however it did not print the chord symbols. Both the SGU and the XML version printed the chord symbols but not the notes. IIRC this has always been the case, however I have very limited experience with XML files.
The last time I looked MuseScore was still describing import of BiaB files as "experimental".

I tend to use XML when going from MuseScore to BiaB; BiaB 2022 doesn't seem to handle repeats, so I usually handle those afterwards in BiaB. I rarely transfer from BiaB to MuseScore.
Thanks for those reports. I still intend to run some experiments as well.

About repeats, I have found few programs handle exporting the commands for repeats. I don't recall if BIAB even exports the commands. You generally have to redo the repeats in the target software. I think this goes along with the linear approach you would take in a DAW. It also squares with the new default in BIAB, by popular request, to make the default number of choruses as 1.
Xml import in musescore works fine,
the only downside is that the utility tracks (with midi info) are not available to be selected when save special to xml file.

See attached picture, the result is matching the biab file:

Attached picture Screenshot 2021-12-29 141157.png
Originally Posted By: avc
Xml import in musescore works fine,
the only downside is that the utility tracks (with midi info) are not available to be selected when save special to xml file.

See attached picture, the result is matching the biab file:

I just tried again with a different song and I got the same results as I did before.

What versions of Musescore and BiaB are you using? I am using the latest versions of both.
Biab 2022 & Musescore 3 latest update
I had to adjust a bit the xml export settings, tabs off.
Originally Posted By: avc
I had to adjust a bit the xml export settings, tabs off.

Thanx for that. I went into my settings and found out that I had uncheck notes and staffs because the last thing I printed was just chords. Once I checked them all printed perfectly in Musescore.

I am just one big old dummy!
As mentioned above, if utility tracks could be exported with the xml, then the import into musescore would have it all. Ms files allow for setting up the parts and score and print all in one go. It allows , as well,for editing individual parts that get updated in the conductor's score. It would be a great efficient workflow. Having said that, the legacy tracks provide for plenty, but I'd like the feature for big band arranging workflow to make the process less tiresome... One can only wish...

Anyways, don't forget the grapes. Happy New Year to all.
© PG Music Forums