PG Music Home
Posted By: Pipeline Dialog Jail - 01/04/22 08:20 AM
There are so many things you are restricted from doing when you are stuck in a dialog jail, you can't access the main program, like if you want to access the mixer to adjust levels, mute/solo tracks or play from bar x.
I was trying something in BandLab with a dialog open but I could still access the main program while the dialog is open.
This is the same with Reaper.
It's very frustrating having to go in n out of dialogs.
Not sure if this is a Delphi issue that you can't do much about or if it is possible to fix ?

Attached picture Reaper-Dialogs.gif
Posted By: paulpaul Re: Dialog Jail - 01/04/22 12:59 PM
Absolutely .

I like your description of this frustrating problem.

Dialogue jail..lol
Posted By: Cerio Re: Dialog Jail - 01/04/22 01:14 PM
Yes, I find this a little bit frustrating too, but as you say, probably it's not easy to resolve.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Dialog Jail - 01/04/22 03:37 PM
It's a function of using many of the Windows dialog tools. MS seem to me far too keen to lock one away in these things. IIRC, if as a programmer you want more flexibility, it all becomes much more complex to use. I can't remember well how or why that is as I rarely program Windows native.

The other Windows-ism are the many error pop-ups that don't allow copy and paste from the message. Nearly forty years since Windows was invented and it still rarely allows that. Nuts (IMHO). :-(
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Dialog Jail - 01/04/22 05:08 PM
These windows in the pic allow access to other things, but once you get into Bar Settings then deeper into UserTracks setting where you need to be able to play the section from different bars, you can't ! then you have the Multiriff and you can't mute the other tracks or adjust the volume, you have a play stop button but have to key in bar numbers to play sections, if you could have access to playing from the chord sheet or be able to highlight beat by beat in the chord sheet rather than having to leave the dialog to highlight the beats n bars in Audio Edit. In the style picker you have no access to the mixer. I had to make a script because users wanted this Style Picker Mixer (Control Mixer from Style Picker) and F5 Bar Settings Easy Set & Play Tool .
If these windows below allow access to all areas then why can't the others ??
It's like an artist has to unlock and open a box with his pallet in, choose his paint, then lock up the pallet to apply paint to the canvas.

Full Screen

Attached File
Reaper-Dialogs-Jail.gif  (67 downloads)
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Dialog Jail - 12/03/22 01:48 PM
Regeneration functions in 2023 can now occur using Ctrl-f8 (without any window visible), or alt-f8 showing a floating regeneration non-modal window.
© PG Music Forums