PG Music Home
It would be great if the TXT format representation of songs could be extended so that not only the basic song information, such as chords, base tempo, style, part markers etc., could be saved and edited, but all song information, including melody and bar based changes via F5 (such as tempo changes) would be included. This would provide a wonderful interface to edit songs externally and then import them into BiaB. It would also open up a whole new world of composing songs by random generator or by algorhythmic rules (12-tone music). I am not sure, but this could greatly expand the potential and scope of Band in a Box and open it to third party developers.
Yes, I can see applications for that. Very good idea.

+1
Is this not already possible with MusicXML?
Mark,
I had thought so too, but MusicXML transports only rather rudimentary info of the songs. This can be easily seen if you export a BiaB song as XML and then import it again. Very little is correct and such details as tempo changes via F5 are completely ignored. What would be helpful would be either a good documentation of the MGU file format or even better an editable clear text description language.
No one would want to code Music XML from scratch.
Originally Posted By: Brille
I had thought so too, but MusicXML transports only rather rudimentary info of the songs.

Bummer. I played around with MusicXML a little when I was trying to import ABC notation (which still does not work on MacOS) but didn't try anything fancy. I do think that would be the best format for file exchange with other applications.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
No one would want to code Music XML from scratch.

No one wants to code HTML from scratch any more, either, so here we are, using applications to do that for us.
Actually I often do my own HTML programming, rather than use any tool. It's far easier than writing a paragraph for one note or one chord in Music XML.
© PG Music Forums