PG Music Home
Posted By: Cerio F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/06/22 04:24 AM
Coming from here:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=741680

IMO, since All tracks are equal, F5 should support utility tracks. At this point, the easiest and fastest way to mute an instrument and bring it in and out of the mix, or to change its volume, is via F5, but that's simply not possible with Utility tracks.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/06/22 05:40 AM
I have to admit that the 'all tracks are equal' statement actually really means that 'however, some tracks are more equal than others' (apologies if that line has been used before somewhere).

The 'methods' used by Legacy Tracks could be adapted internally to apply to Utility Tracks (even if the underlying code needed some transparency to make this work).

'All tracks are equal' should mean exactly that.

+1
Posted By: MarioD Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/06/22 10:58 AM
"'All tracks are equal' should mean exactly that." Exactly

+1
Posted By: MikeK Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/06/22 11:00 AM
I could have sworn this was already a wish list item. FWIW: HELL YEAH!!! +1,000!!!
Posted By: HoosierMichael Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/06/22 11:40 AM
Yes yes yes +1

Having said this, I'm very happy with the improvements for BIAB '23. Thanks PG!
Posted By: DrDan Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/06/22 09:59 PM
F5 is going away. Instead of harmonizing with Legacy tracks the workflow will align with Utility Tracks. Content will all be edited as virtual audio files which are fully coded and editied and arranged as if they were audio while they remain fully codified in .sgu/.mgu format. Eventually all tracks will merge into SuperTracks, come 2027. Mark my words, you heard it here first. crazy
Posted By: Keith44 Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/06/22 11:05 PM
Why remove something when so many want it..........................

Keith
Posted By: DrDan Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/07/22 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Keith44
Why remove something when so many want it..........................

Keith - of course I am just speculating. I have no insider knowledge on future planning. Having said that, there are trends in BIAB features over the past years which I feel do point in this direction.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/07/22 07:23 PM
I doubt that F5 is going to disappear. There are simply too many features provided by the F5 Bar Settings dialog, including Tempo changes, Key Signature changes, MIDI patch changes, Style changes, RealTracks and RealDrums changes and more. We'll just have to wait to see what 2027 brings crazy
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/07/22 08:10 PM
I also doubt it will disappear ... MusicStudent was being ironic.
Over my side of the pond they tell us Americans don't do irony.
Sometimes they do :-)

More likely I think, is that F5 will morph into something that better structures all the many options possible over all the tracks. That one dialog and/or collection of dialogs, may well demand some concentrated thinking to get right.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/08/22 09:37 AM
+1
but....I would like to see a different "background" process of how it is done. (please correct me if I am wrong)

As of now, a " mute" and "back to normal" is done by destructive editing. Meaning, it forces BIAB to regenerate track(s), "cutting out" and "pasting in" segments. If this was was done by actually automating volumes, the process would be far more flexible.
#1 you will not lose generation and process would take less time (as it will not regenerate tracks)
#2 you would be able to go into ACW or Audio edit and do a fine tune or further precise automation

As far as the OP request, again +1 I think F5 is quick and convenient and should include all tracks., I am just proposing the background mechanics of how this can be done.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/08/22 11:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
+1
but....I would like to see a different "background" process of how it is done. (please correct me if I am wrong)

As of now, a " mute" and "back to normal" is done by destructive editing. Meaning, it forces BIAB to regenerate track(s), "cutting out" and "pasting in" segments. If this was was done by actually automating volumes, the process would be far more flexible.
#1 you will not lose generation and process would take less time (as it will not regenerate tracks)
#2 you would be able to go into ACW or Audio edit and do a fine tune or further precise automation

As far as the OP request, again +1 I think F5 is quick and convenient and should include all tracks., I am just proposing the background mechanics of how this can be done.

Using F5 to Mute and Return to Normal doesn't destructive edit any data/audio so there's never any regeneration.

#1 No generation is lost. No time is lost or gained.
#2 Using Audio Edit is actually faster, easier, more precise and visual than using F5 to mutes bars.

Note opening Bar Settings there is a slight lag before the Bar Settings Windows opens
There is no lag opening The Audio Edit Window. This is a minor thing but Audio Edit opens faster.
To compare muting one bar with Bar Settings and the Audio Edit Window,
* using F5
Open Bar Settings window
Select Bar to Mute
Select Track to Mute
Select Action to Mute
Select Bar to Return to Normal
Select Track to Return to Normal
Select Action to Return to Normal

* Using Audio Edit Window
Select icon Audio Edit
Highlight bar
Hit Delete

Bonus to using Audio Edit rather than Bar Settings:
Applicable to all 24 tracks
There are multiple methods to mute besides the single listing above.
Many additional advanced editing/mixing options are available from the Audio Edit Window

Wav image of bars 6-8 playing muted on Legacy Track Guitar 1 (Piano) using Bar Settings Mute and Return to Normal functions. The wav form is unaffected. Bar Settings are user applied after the BIAB algorithm has selected and applied Wav Instructions to the RealTrack Data on the track.

Attached picture Screenshot 2022-12-08 094017.jpg
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/08/22 01:51 PM
Charlie. People are asking for F5 function for all tracks. That is a valid wish, people are not asking for a workaround.

Watch this 30 second video. What do you think is happening to the Guitar track when mute at the bar (F5) is applied??
https://www.dropbox.com/s/24hxod6np0v7sp4/Flashback%20-%20Dec%208%2C%202022%2011_33_58.mp4?dl=0

"Using Audio Edit is actually faster" Please do not misinform people.
It took me 16 seconds to mute 4 instruments at one bar and unmute them at another. (TOTAL TIME!) Now, when you beat this number by method which you said is "faster", or even come remotely close to 16 seconds of muting and unmuting four instruments at different bars, please chime back, as I do want to learn more.
----------------

People want a convenience of being able to do things in a fast track. This is not how you envision it, but that is what they (including me) want. No need to derail a well supported request.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/08/22 06:07 PM
My intention was not to derail any request for F5 support for all tracks, but solely to speak of destructive editing using F5 Bar settings.

This morning, I generated at track, used F5 to mute a few bars and Back to Normal, opened the Audio Edit Window to display, hit play and the song counted in, started and played and muted the bars it supposed to. The wav form did not disappear and regenerate. I'd never experienced a regeneration of a track using Bar Settings.

I been out on errands but on my return I watched your video and I can duplicate the track regenerating like your video displays. I also noted that the red bar lines display now has a selection in Bar Settings for auto display of red bars, yes, display all the time or no, don't display. I'd not noticed that before either so it seems there's still some attention being given to Bar Settings. That said, I don't think using bar settings should force a regeneration either. I'm able to recover the original track using undo, but regeneration should not be necessary.

Regarding muting 4 tracks in 16 seconds, again, my intention is not to derail any request for any wishlist. Both the Audio Edit method and Bar Settings (F5) are BIAB features so there's really no competition but rather user preference to use all the features however best suits the user.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/08/22 07:41 PM
Charlie. People are asking for an axe, you are offering a scalpel.

Completely different tools. The existing "workaround" you proposed:
A) will take enormous amount of time operating several tracks, especially under non existing bulk commands "mute all" / "back to normal" compared to F5.
B)No visual indicator on chord sheet of any kind.(!)
C) Too much to grasp for average user, who doesn't need all the precision and spend many hours on the arrangement.

Again, a BIG +1 for OP request.
Posted By: MoultiPass Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/08/22 07:49 PM
+1
Posted By: musocity Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/08/22 09:04 PM
Yes this has been asked for many times going right back to when Utilities were released in the main and beta forum.

I don't know now with volume automation if they are looking for a different way of doing F5 or what ? maybe F5 could automatically set the volume automation giving tweak control user override ? this way within the muted bars you can manually turn the level up on a few beats if needed or put a slight fade in/out. As these tracks were added because users wanted it to become their DAW.

I would of thought it would of been simple to add them in the F5 ?
Maybe they will be adding other automation tracks instead of just volume ? like pan.

I don't know why F5 takes too long to open ? wonder if the can make that like the Alt+F8 window that you can leave open and still work ?

Then you have Old Muso's Bar view that gives you an instant visual of all the F5 settings like what bars are muted on what instrument, what RealTrack changes at what bar etc.. in F5 you only see whats on one bar.
All these things give you the best of both worlds.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=650871&page=all

In F5 I have the Bass on Bar 1 muted but where does it come back in ?
In the Old Muso Bar View I can instantly see and I can see all the tracks with one look I not relying on my memory of all 24 F5 track mutes. I can make changes in F5, in the Bar View window or in the volume automation, whatever I'm most comfortable with.

Attached picture BB23-F5-Mute-Bass-Bar1.png
Posted By: musiclover Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/09/22 02:55 PM
+1
Posted By: MoultiPass Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/09/22 03:06 PM
I think if it was simple they would have provided it to us from the start. But it remains a legitimate need, if "all tracks are equal" hahaha
Posted By: Ryan_R Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/25/22 05:00 AM
+1
Posted By: Roger Brown Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 12/27/22 02:45 PM
+1

This is a feature that, were it to be added, would be all the incentive I would need to upgrade to the latest version. It's a real need and would love to see it added.
Posted By: Jon Thomas Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 01/28/23 06:26 AM
+1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 01/28/23 07:15 AM
Great! What we sse is undying support.

Bring it on grin
Posted By: MikeK Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 01/28/23 12:47 PM
Once again: +10000% smile
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 03/03/23 08:38 PM
> IMO, since All tracks are equal, F5 should support utility tracks

Cerio,

,’yes this is planned.
Posted By: MarioD Re: F5 - Support for Utility tracks - 03/03/23 09:09 PM