PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud REALTRACK REGENERATIONS - 09/05/16 03:35 PM
I love BiaB but I do use it in a narrowly focused manner exclusively with RT's and RD's. After we've written a song I start "auditioning" RT's that fit my notion of where we want to take the she song. I very rarely start with a style and when I do it is typical that the final "band" will contain only one or two of the original style's tracks.

I use the Mac BiaB version that not include realband so all of my mixing is in Logic Pro using Izotope's plug-ins.

My objective is invariably to create a mix that sounds like something a tight band could play on stage. To accomplish this I do a LOT of track comping, i.e., cuttin' and splicin'. It's not unusual for me to review 20 or more generations of a single RT to create a comped solo, background or rhythm track that supports the project's vocal. Usually the cuts are at the beginning/end of a measure(s) but not infrequently at smaller segments or even notes.

So what I love are RT's for sure (they are brilliant) but also how each permutation (regeneration) is different. This allows tremendous flexibility in putting together tracks that at best complements the vocalist and other tracks but at the least never distracts.

The other thing I like is the fun factor created by the above!

Bud
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: REALTRACK REGENERATIONS - 09/06/16 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I love BiaB but I do use it in a narrowly focused manner exclusively with RT's and RD's. After we've written a song I start "auditioning" RT's that fit my notion of where we want to take the she song. I very rarely start with a style and when I do it is typical that the final "band" will contain only one or two of the original style's tracks.

I use the Mac BiaB version that not include realband so all of my mixing is in Logic Pro using Izotope's plug-ins.

My objective is invariably to create a mix that sounds like something a tight band could play on stage. To accomplish this I do a LOT of track comping, i.e., cuttin' and splicin'. It's not unusual for me to review 20 or more generations of a single RT to create a comped solo, background or rhythm track that supports the project's vocal. Usually the cuts are at the beginning/end of a measure(s) but not infrequently at smaller segments or even notes.

So what I love are RT's for sure (they are brilliant) but also how each permutation (regeneration) is different. This allows tremendous flexibility in putting together tracks that at best complements the vocalist and other tracks but at the least never distracts.

The other thing I like is the fun factor created by the above!

Bud

Hello Janice & Bud!

Glad to hear you are getting excellent results with Band-in-a-Box!

Please check out our tutorials on our support page to help further your understanding of Band-in-a-Box, seen here: http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: REALTRACK REGENERATIONS - 10/19/16 02:48 PM
I'm also in total agreement that I use RB in a very narrow way. And yep, it's only to generate the real track waves for the instruments I don't play and want in the project I'm working on at any given time.

That one feature, however, totally makes RB worth it's cost if it did nothing else.
© PG Music Forums