PG Music Home
Posted By: Bob Calver how do i test my stage monitors - 01/05/24 11:15 AM
i no longer play live and have two peavey wedges we used to use for foldback on stage. one is powered and the other is passive but driven by the powered wedge. now i want to sell them and need to be able to demonstrate them to possible purchasers. they used to just plug into the monitpr output of the peavey pa head or the monitgor output of a mixer.

so what do i use to feed them now to demonstrate? i have an amp with a DI output. another amp with an extension speaker output (8 ohms). plus of course an ipod or tablet with a headphone output. i never worked out what the pa head output was. please advise what i should use to test the wedges.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: how do i test my stage monitors - 01/05/24 12:24 PM
You should be able to send a Line Out level signal to the powered monitor. This could be a portable music player, an old cassette deck or tuner, or a guitar amp that has a line out jack. The DI output of older amps should be line out level, but it might also be a microphone level signal, which is too low, but even that would prove the monitors are working. The headphone jack on the iPad isn’t line level but as long as you only turn it up halfway or two-thirds, it’s close enough.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: how do i test my stage monitors - 01/05/24 01:56 PM
Matt's advice is spot on.

Let me add, choose the material to play through the monitors wisely. Make sure the source is clean, with a wide frequency range, and balanced. Try a few things first, before you demo them.

I'd select a few short clips, with and without vocals, sparse, and dense. I would think about 15-20 seconds each would be good.

And good luck!

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: how do i test my stage monitors - 01/05/24 05:42 PM
Ha. Yes, Bob is right; if you play some staticky distorted audio, it won't inspire confidence in the buyer grin
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: how do i test my stage monitors - 01/05/24 06:00 PM
i'll experiment with the DI output of the amp and an mp3 player - thanks for the advice
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: how do i test my stage monitors - 01/05/24 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Bob Calver
i'll experiment with the DI output of the amp and an mp3 player - thanks for the advice
It will certainly make a sound. DI is the one thing I can't predict since there are two standards: line level and mic level.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: how do i test my stage monitors - 01/05/24 10:33 PM
I'm not sure either so i'll ry the tablet/ipod as well bearing in mind the advice about volume.............thanks for the advice again
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: how do i test my stage monitors - 01/06/24 09:01 PM
I would expect that most potential buyers would show up with their own stuff (input and music selection).
I know I would if I was buying.
I'd want to be sure my inputs work and my type of music sounds good, not yours.

It does pay to be prepared.
But possibly they may not want your version of the test drive.

Just a thought.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: how do i test my stage monitors - 01/07/24 01:11 AM
Certainly, they could provide their own inputs, but it would be better to also have your own, just in case they can't provide the required input / connections, etc.
© PG Music Forums