PG Music Home
I have a nice old Fujitzu Lifebook P1620 running XP Tablet PC edition 2005 version 2002 service pack 3. Intel Core 2 Duo Cpu. U7600 @ 1.20ghz 790 mhz 0.99 gb of ram. It has approx 35 gb with 25 gb free space. It has wifi, touch screen, fingerprint id, the screen rotates/flips and it runs on batteries or AC. Works perfectly.

It was my old work computer before they switched to smartphones. I put chrome on it and used it for web browsing until Chrome stopped supporting XP so haven't used it since. About the only thing it doesn't have that the newer cheap tablets I've been looking at have is a built in camera. The link below from 2008 has pictures and specs so you can see it.
http://www.tabletpcreview.com/tabletreview/fujitsu-lifebook-p1620-tablet-pc-review/

Is there a way to put a new browser or switch it to run android? Would it be secure to use for internet browsing, email etc.? Or should I just toss/recycle it and move on?

Thanks for your help and advice.
Hi Josie.

If you don't want to go to the expense of installing Windows 8.1 or 10 (and why would you?)
you might find this interesting.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

I've used it in the past with some success. At the end of the day, it costs nothing and is easily reversible.

Cheers, Rog
XP... nice solid OS, the Ram is a bit low, but hey, clean it up.... remove the junk and unused programs, delete the temp & temp internet files.... and load what you need.

What's the worst that could happen? Maybe it runs slow.... so add a few more GB of ram. You can probably find used, but working RAM cheap on EBay.

That's what I'd try.
New RAM for that, being slow speed, might be quite more expensive now than it used to be but used/Ebay/some older repair person's shop might work. In general, on my older PCs it is now prohibitively expensive to add RAM. I might use an old laptop like that to keep it next to my desk so I can pay bills online, nothing more. But even doing that on an unsupported and probably unsecured OS could be bad now. Maybe just check Facebook?

I'm very impressed with the amount of hard drive space you have left. It looks like there is only Windows on the computer and you don't have a lot of junk software.

Run the free Geekbench score on that and report it. For example, unless it's 1500 or so, you'll have trouble running BIAB. I think the CPU speed may be under the minimum BIAB requirements, not sure.
Hello Sundance,

If chrome is no longer working for you then you can certainly try another browser such as Mozilla Firefox or safari. They can be downloaded for free online.

You say it "works perfectly" so I wouldn't get rid of it just yet.
If all you wish to do on it is email and web browsing I personally would use it until it breaks or is unbearably slow.

I would not reply on this machine for use on Band-in-a-Box or other software as the Ram is a little low and the hard drive space is very limited but the computer it self is worth holding onto if it still browses the web efficiently.
I had an old notebook computer with XP on it. I DLed Linux to a CD, formatted the drive and installed Linux. Then I put the Linux version of Firefox on it and ran it for a couple of years with no problems. The touch screen may not work, don't know, as my notebook had a keyboard. Mine was way before touch screens were even thought of!

The OS is a little different than Windows but if I can adapt to it I am certain that you can also. It isn't that hard of a transition.

YMMV
Thanks guys.

I just want to use it for surfing, email, watching YT and reading ebooks.

All my music - BIAB, DAW, video editing etc., is done on the win 10 machine in my "studio" room so I don't need it to do any of that.

This little laptop computer is really more like a 10" tablet with a keyboard - type with the keyboard or on the screen or touch it to move around or write on it with a stylus. So I'm trying to put off buying a new tablet when this still works perfect - except for being stuck with win XP and being paranoid of getting a virus or malware on it.

Like Anthony said I rather use it until it gets so slow I can't stand it or it breaks. It zipped right along with Chrome.

My job related files were all removed and there's no bloatware.

The usb stick with Puppylinux or some version with Firefox or Safari sounds like a good idea. I do hate losing the touch screen - I used it most of the time on this thing.

Wish me luck! I'll go get a blank usb stick tomorrow.
Josie,

According to this site:

http://top5antivirussoftware.com/

there are a number of anti-virus programs that still support XP. You might want to check them out.
If you have a big enough external drive, I would take an image of the XP configuration (Macrium Reflect Free is, well, free).

Then, you could download a version of Linux (such as Ubuntu - you'll want to get the 32-bit version), burn the image to a DVD, and then install it on the machine. Linux doesn't have the draw on the computer that Windows has, and especially if you are just surfing, etc, you should be fine.

The image you took means you can easily and quickly get back to where you were on XP if you don't like the change.

Just a thought.
© PG Music Forums