PG Music Home
Posted By: RichRayer Windows 10 and Band in a Box startup - 11/23/16 01:10 PM
Everytime I start Band in a Box 2015, I get the message:

"Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?"

This is a bit annoying. Why is Band In a Box not a trusted program and how to do I fix this problem?

Thanks for any help. It is appreciated.
Hmmmm.....
I'm no expert with computers but will throw out the following.

Does this happen with other programs on your computer?
If so, could this prompt be related to a particular anti-virus program you are using?

I just did a fresh install on Win7, haven't installed my preferred anti-virus program yet (AVG Free) and haven't had this happen to me yet when opening BIAB.
Just trying to see some logic here.

Carry on....good luck.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Windows 10 and Band in a Box startup - 11/23/16 02:57 PM
Seems to me its a firewall that you have that is asking you this, either a stand alone one or the one in windows.

Musiclover
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Windows 10 and Band in a Box startup - 11/23/16 03:34 PM
Check your User Account Control setting in Windows.

Which version of Windows?
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Windows 10 and Band in a Box startup - 11/23/16 04:30 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I am using Windows 10 with the latest Anniversary update. This problem only occurs on BiaB and an older version of Soundforge (from the Windows XP days). For Soundforge I can honestly say I understand why since it is a legacy product. BiaB having this issue makes no sense to me as it is not that old. I am planning on upgrading to this year's release when it comes out but heck my version is only a year behind and well within the Windows 10 timeframe.

My antivirus is eSet and it works well with everything else. I don't know about firewalls or what Windows 10 is doing with firewalls but I DON'T want to lower my UAC setting and let anything else out there on the net trying to hack into my setup.

[SOAP BOX]
Oh, and Yes, my music computer is also my internet computer and everything else computer. I am happy I have ONE working computer to do all the things I am interested in. I can't afford the luxury of having multiple computers and one entirely isolated from the internet. These are really sad times when we have to put up so many walls to protect what we have. Didn't seem like that back in the day.

[step off SOAP BOX] smile

Thanks again
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Windows 10 and Band in a Box startup - 11/23/16 06:46 PM
I've had no end of problems since upgrading from Windows 7 to 10. At present, I'm totally unable to launch either BB or RB.

Colour me completely frustrated.

Donny
Posted By: Sundance Re: Windows 10 and Band in a Box startup - 11/23/16 10:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
I've had no end of problems since upgrading from Windows 7 to 10. At present, I'm totally unable to launch either BB or RB.

Colour me completely frustrated.

Donny

BIAB takes a very LONG time to load in my Win 10 but once loaded works fine. RB on the other hand doesn't take quite as long to load but has some strange behaviors at times like if I scroll it'll just keep on scrolling and stops when it's good and ready.

Rich,
Hope you get it sorted. smile
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Windows 10 and Band in a Box startup - 11/23/16 10:29 PM
Josie, when we had a long discussion here about this and referenced the log that BIAB generates, we figured out that the biggest delay was caused by virus checkers. When I excluded the /BB folder from my checker, the BIAB boot-up time decreased dramatically. Have you tried this?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Windows 10 and Band in a Box startup - 11/23/16 10:32 PM
Don, I do remember some threads here about it, but did not know you are so badly stuck. Windows 10 alone is not the reason for your trouble. Perhaps another specialty program that you use on your PC is somehow interfering with BIAB. Has PG Music remote-connected to your PC to try and diagnose this?

Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Windows 10 and Band in a Box startup - 11/23/16 11:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Don, I do remember some threads here about it, but did not know you are so badly stuck. Windows 10 alone is not the reason for your trouble. Perhaps another specialty program that you use on your PC is somehow interfering with BIAB. Has PG Music remote-connected to your PC to try and diagnose this?

Matt,

Support asked for a convenient time to call me so I'm expecting visitors from Chicago on Saturday. They (Support) sent a link for a fresh install but, after several attempts, the download hangs.

I only had these problems since upgrading to W10.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Windows 10 and Band in a Box startup - 11/23/16 11:30 PM
Good luck, Don!
© PG Music Forums