PG Music Home
I was tipped about a place which has loads of .sty files (originally from PSR models, it seems), but actually using these for BBox is a question I'm not quite sure how to go about (or if indeed it's possible). For one thing, they don't have any additional files like .stx or what have you, so I'm wondering if there's something I must do absolutely correctly in order to get BBlox to accept them as valid styles.
Anyone ever attempted and succeeded in doing something like this?
No.

The file formats are different and not interchangeable. See ++ This ++ discussion.

There are a number of forum discussions about your question, some going into a lot of detail concerning the differences in the file formats.

A similar question is if you can import PG Music styles into Yamaha keyboards. No.

From the number of times the questions have been asked in this forum it looks as though there might be a money making opportunity for a programmer to create a program that converts from keyboard styles to PG Music styles or from PG Music styles to keyboard styles. Might could make money converting between keyboard styles.
I'm sure there is, but that's a skills set I definitely don't possess.
Thanks for the link, but even more thanks for just giving me the bottom line straight up. I'll take your word for it and not waste my days chasing after this li'l rabbit, then.
Although my earlier post concerning the website http://www.psrtutorial.com/ had "very lax relevance" to your question, most Yamaha .Sty files are mostly midi data with some non midi data thrown in. They can be converted to .mid files by changing the file extension names from .sty to .mid and played with RB or other DAW's.

Or I've also used the "Style Split and Splice" program listed at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sands/index.htm to split the style file into midi and non-midi sections.

You can further convert Yamaha .fil sequence files (used on Disklavier instruments) to midi files by using the batch converter listed in the lower left side of this website: http://www.kuhmann.com/Yamaha.htm That program is called Disklavier YAM Player and I've used it successfully on my Win 10 machine.

That website also has hundreds of classical and jazz files originally released for the Disklaviers.

Hope that helps some.

Jeff
The Finale programs (promoted on here somewhere) can also import these Yamaha .sty files to some extent, from where one could conceivably 'take the long route' by first converting to midi and then copy into Stylemaker one instrument at a time...or something like that.

p.s. Your 'lax' post is far better suited into a thread like this one here, btw smile
if yo've downloaded some keyboard .sty files you can Batch rename their file extensions in Windows
I'm quite clearly aMac user, but the idea is valid (and I already got the tools for this purpose), so thanks for the input.
related info for this topic for windows users

Batch rename their file extensions in Windows
Importing a style from midi

bob nortonhas style disks for some arranger keyboards as well as intro and endings disks

© PG Music Forums