PG Music Home
I'm setting up a new computer system. Have a question about BIAB / RB performance. I'll load my programs on an SSD and have two HD's available for "data" (documents, pictures, etc) and "music" (BIAB/RB songs, Kontakt and SampleTank samples, midi data).

Is it better to put the sample libraries, RealTracks and my songs together on the "music" drive. Or would it be best to separate the samples and RealTracks onto their own drive?

In the past, I've combined the samples and songs on the same drive but since I'm reconfiguring thought I would ask for best performance practice.

Is their any performance difference splitting the RealTracks and songs from one another in regards to regeneration or playback?

Appreciate your insight and help.

Jeff
It really doesn't matter.

I have used several methods over the years when loading a new version of BB..

1. Everything on the C drive. No issue with a new computer and a really big drive. Especially if it's a dedicated DAW.

2. Program on C, files on a second drive.

3. Run it from the factory HD. Very similar to #2.

These all run sufficiently well. There's really no huge difference in loading times for the real tracks that I have noticed. Now days, due to laziness...I just run from the factory HD with a minimal install. A full install to the C drive or even to a secondary drive does take some time to transfer the files. The factory drive is ready to roll from the start.

It might take a second or two longer to load files from the external or secondary but nothing to worry about.
Posted By: rharv Re: Best setup for maximum BIAB performance? - 04/02/17 12:10 PM
Mountainside,
I'd keep Realtracks separate from the OS drive. Less chance of losing everything should one drive fail.
And, since I think you are a Realband user, I'd go into Prefs in RB and set the 'Temp Audio Directory' to be on a drive other than the OS also.
Your C: drive temp area is the default, but if you move it elsewhere RB won't be trying to read/write to the same drive at the same time.
I use an iPod mainly because I have a set list I like to follow and I use sheet music.
Appreciate the replies folks. New computer setup, still a few driver issues with the older synths. Programs installed on the SSD, RealTracks and RealDrums on separate mechanical drive with my songs, other data and docs on a 2nd mechanical. Big difference in moving from 1st gen i5 to 7th gen i7!

Jeff
I tested this exact scenario on the system in my sig. When I fist set it up I installed everything on my SSD C drive including the Biab program. As time went on I saw the drive was getting full so I decided to test the performance running all the RT's off of the PG hard drive. Absolutely zero difference in generation times that I could tell. So I deleted all the RT/RD's off my C drive but keeping the Biab program, and I'm running them from the external.

Bob
© PG Music Forums