PG Music Home
Posted By: Antho1965 Creating vocal samples?...help - 05/03/17 05:03 PM
So I have a ton of samples at my disposal, lots of VST's, plugins, loops SF2's etc...

However I'd like to have a few basic backing vocal loops, samples whatever that I can call on for production when I just want some Oooos, ahhhs, La La, do whops...you get the idea.

I've had a hard time finding what I want so then the thought came to me...just make your own. Great idea...but I have NO CLUE how to do it and no idea how I get my sample, etc into something that I can load up and use as I would for any VST instrument etc.

So I am asking for help...I have searched all over the interweb, YouTube etc...I cannot find anything that shows me how to make a basic sample vocal or otherwise. I MUST be looking/searching for the wrong thing cause I cannot believe that this topic would be that hard to find.

Any suggestions, pointers, ideas etc would be appreciated...

Thanks
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Creating vocal samples?...help - 05/03/17 05:53 PM
Tony,

What program are you anticipating making loops in? If you don't have one in mind, Realband could potentially do the job for you.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Creating vocal samples?...help - 05/04/17 10:31 PM
https://sites.google.com/site/sfzassistant/files
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdNYwZkRxg99u9-nzn8fNKw

http://mildon.me/sfzdesigner

Sample to SFZ Batch Converter

you can make round robins in the SFZ format.
Posted By: Antho1965 Re: Creating vocal samples?...help - 05/05/17 03:37 PM
I have no idea where I'd be making it from but I'd typically be using in my DAW of choice which is Samplitude Pro X2
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Creating vocal samples?...help - 05/12/17 12:32 PM
Tony,

As Noel indicated RealBand, or Band-in-a-Box for that matter, can become your best friend in this instance as both programs can save audio files as Acidized loops.

Acidized loops have tempo and key signature information embedded in the file. When a loop is loaded into a program the program looks for the embedded information so the program can correctly adjust the loop tempo and key to match the surrounding song. Both Band-in-a-Box and RealBand can use Acidized loops and more than 1000 Acidized loops come with the programs. In addition to reading the embedded information, both programs can embed the information.

Typically loops are small; only one, two or four measures in length. Using a vocal "oooo" as an example it would need to sound different at 60 bpm than it would at 120, 160 or 200 bpm so you would want to make multiple loops at different speeds. You also might want to make multiple loops in different keys. PG Music makes each Realtracks in about five keys evenly spaced across an octave. That way each note doesn't have to change pitch too much.

So for the one sound, "oooo", you would likely want to create enough loops to cover both the tempo and key ranges you might encounter. For single note loops like the example you may be able to get by with less. When PG Music first introduced Acidized loops to the programs they created a video using just one bass note in a one measure loop to play bass through a complete song. I was very impressed by the video which is why I still remember it.

Another reason why you might want to create loops in multiple keys is to create background harmonies.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Creating vocal samples?...help - 05/12/17 05:31 PM
You can find a lot of Oooos, ahhhs, La La, do whops and others in SampleTank. These are ready to go and can easily be triggered with a controller. I don'tm think it would be a huge project to re-sample the ones you want and do what you want with them from there.
© PG Music Forums