PG Music Home
Kind of a confusing question I know.

I will need to download say two years worth of monthly ADP payroll statements for a client so that's 24 individual downloads. I created a sub folder under his name. I log into the website and start downloading the statements. I have Firefox set to ask where I want something to go so I browse to the clients folder. Ok, no problem. I download the next one and up pops the prior download location from a different session. I browse again to the clients folder. This goes on for 4 or 5 times before Firefox finally decides in it's infinite wisdom that I really want to stay in the current download location and I can now finish up each file without having to browse for it each time.

I am aware I can menu dive in FF and set a default location but that's not what I'm asking. I'm not using any default location I have it set to ask me where I want it downloaded to.

Any way to fix that? Some checkbox or whatever that tells it when I browse to a new location it will just stay there without me having to browse several times before it remembers?

Bob
Are all the files the same extension. I've noticed that, in general, FF remembers where I just downloaded to, but it also sometimes goes to the location where I downloaded a previous similar file.

For example, I'll download three or four files (and the same location shows up for each one), and then maybe I'll go over to the Cakewalk site to get the latest Sonar update or the latest BIAB update from the PGMusic site. FF seems to remember the last time I downloaded a Sonar or the BIAB update and presents me with the same folder as that previous time. So, there is definitely some intelligence going on there in the background.

I wish I could help with a switch to set; I think I would just bite the bullet and set the download location to where you want it explicitly, then download the 24 files. Then set it again for the next client and rinse and repeat, so to speak.
I've observed what John said, that it is trying to help based on file extension.
One thing you may want to try is deleting your cookies for that site.
In FF go to Options-Privacy-Remove individual cookies, then type in the first few letters of the domain (URL) in to the filter of the resulting pop up, and Remove either the selected (after highlighting) or 'Remove all shown' (if you've filtered them down good)
You'll have to log in again as a result but it may work.

Next level is deleting the history for a given time period (same Options path) .. not preferable as you may lose all stored credentials/shortcuts for the selected time frame.

Other than that, I got nothing.

I've noticed there's no problem with PG updates. They always download to my BB beta directory. I'll pay attention to the file extensions, hadn't thought of that before. Maybe it's remembering where each extension went so when I happen to download a different file type it goes to the last place that extension went. That actually makes sense. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks
So you want to download them all ?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/
Sometimes but not all the time, it depends on what I need. Without getting into too much boring detail I will say there is one employer who allows a person to download stuff using different formats. Same with some banks and brokers too. Some I want as an Excel file and others pdf's and some are just printing off a web page or I'll use Printscreen and paste it into a wordoc. I'm going to pay attention to the extensions the next time. Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. Please check out my next thread.

Bob
© PG Music Forums