PG Music Home
Posted By: Belladonna DigiTech Trio - 12/23/17 03:14 PM
Does anyone use the petal DigiTech Trio? Supposedly has BIAB tracks?
Just wondered how useful that pedal would be?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: DigiTech Trio - 12/23/17 04:25 PM
I know that’s been discussed here. Did you try searching the forum? It might be older than two years, though, so use Google to do the search.
Posted By: Kev T Re: DigiTech Trio - 12/24/17 03:17 PM
Hi Belladonna. There are two Digitech TRIO models. The original TRIO analyses the chords and rhythm you play into it and produces drum and bass backings to play along with.

I have the Digitech TRIO+ which is similar to the TRIO but has the extra facility to loop additional guitar parts which is useful for practice and songwriting purposes and for building up almost unlimited loops.

After playing a short guitar sequence through the TRIO it provides a drum rhythm and bass backing loop. On the TRIO+ you can then go on to build additional guitar loops to augment what is already laid down. Again, on the TRIO+ the finished loops can be sequenced to form a full song. (don't think that's available on the basic TRIO). The songs can be stored on a supplied mini SD card....up to 12 on an 8Gb card.

I would say that whether to get one depends on your purpose in buying it. The drum and bass sounds are very good (well they would be coming from BIAB!) and can be refined re: genre and styles. If you already have BIAB and Realband you will probably find the TRIO quite limited in comparison. The TRIO and + models take some thinking about and if it's for stage use you would need to do the pre programming in advance. ( The loop section on the + you could use as per a normal looper but there are less complicated ones about.

If you don't have BIAB I personally would forgo the TRIO and put the money towards BIAB which is way more flexible.

Hope that helps some! smile

Kev.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: DigiTech Trio - 12/24/17 05:19 PM
Thanks Kev, Yes I already have BIAB and have decided just to work more with that and maybe make my loops and backing tracks in advance and then play along with the guitar for practice.
Posted By: duncanwhyte Re: DigiTech Trio - 12/26/17 05:37 AM
I have the DigiTech trio with looper and used it for a short while. I found that it 'liked' some chord progressions and music styles and made the right kind of effort to work with me. When moving on to more complex things it got sullen and unhappy and darnright workshy.

The settings are many and various and I found they caused unpredictable behaviours. But I didn't persist enough to see if there are procedures to get better control.

A pedal needs to be as simple as possible ie hit it with your boot and carry on playing. Getting down to adjust live on stage is a pace killer. Its a decent piece of kit when set up right. But probably over designed for its application in practical conditions.
© PG Music Forums