PG Music Home
Posted By: furry Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 09:03 AM
I've recently purchased east west music software and some of the string, keyboard & choral sections are amazing.
Used biab after buying jbridge and everything plays ok. However, rendering proves to be a tad finnicky as the playback is jumpy and not smooth & flowing like the playback in biab. Have a listen and see if you can figure out why it's not working as it should ?

Test file
Posted By: jford Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 01:41 PM
For whatever reason, I have had issues rendering some of the larger Kontakt libraries (some of my Kontakt libraries render nicely; some of the larger ones end up have issues). Not sure why; perhaps the rendering engine is timing out before getting the proper response from the VSTi. When I listen, it sounds great, but it's sometimes hit or miss for rendering the sound to a WAV file. The smaller libraries generally work just fine; it's the larger libraries that seem to have a problem. (BTW, this has generally been in RealBand, as I usually only use the General MIDI sound source - TTS-1 or Coyote Forte - when working in BIAB).

I don't have East-West, but it makes me wonder if something similar is going on there.
Posted By: furry Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 02:14 PM
Yeah making me wonder too John. EW Forum is as much use as a snowball in the Saraha. There's some fabulous sounds I'm dying to use on old tunes, but even using real band whatever I render comes up blank.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 02:45 PM
Graham, this is an area I don’t spend time in, because I use an external MIDI module. But just to rule it out, how powerful is your PC? By Geekbench, for example?

I’be noticed people seem to underestimate the requirements of BIAB.
Posted By: furry Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 03:47 PM
Matt, here's my details

3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-6600
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)

All my music work is on a 1TB Maxtor ext hd

Maxtor OneTouch USB Device [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 2, s/n 2HA1ZKPD
SanDisk SD8SBAT128G1122 (128.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 152755401914, rev Z2201000, SMART Status: Healthy
Seagate M3 Portable SCSI Disk Device (1000.20 GB) -- drive 3, s/n 18707E0307000077
ST1000DM003-1SB10C [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 1, s/n Z9A0M4Z9, rev CC43, SMART Status: Healthy

The pc itself is two years old this month and was built for music
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 03:53 PM
Thanks, Graham. You didn't mention how much RAM is installed but the rest of the specs look fine.
Posted By: furry Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 04:24 PM
32 gb Ram
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 07:44 PM
Graham, you mentioned that all of your music work is on an external drive. If EastWest is on that drive then that MAY be the problem as USB is slower that SATA. Internal drives work much better for large VSTis for things like sample streaming and rendering.

You also gave your computer stats but I sow nothing about your audio interface. If it is the MO audio like Realtek then that also may be the problem. If it is not a MO audio then try either increasing your MIDI buffers and/or trying ASIO. ASIO is not just for recording.
Posted By: furry Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 08:56 PM
Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD Audio Interface is the one I use Mario and MME or ASIO gives the same results
Posted By: furry Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 08:56 PM
By the way it was the same when I tried using it from my internal hard drive
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/04/18 09:56 PM
Have you tried to increase your audio and/or MIDI buffers in the Behringer?

Do you have another DAW, preferably a 64-bit DAW to eliminate jbridge, where you can copy the MIDI track and EastWest stuff and render them there?
As I have said before jbridge is a excellent program but like all wrappers they do not necessarily work perfectly for all VSTis.

My experience in Sonar with MIDI note drop outs like you are experiencing was corrected by increasing my MIDI buffers. This may or may not be the case with your problems, don't know.
Posted By: furry Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/05/18 01:08 PM
I've given up, far too finnicky
Posted By: MarioD Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/05/18 01:23 PM
Graham have your tried rendering only one track at a time?

Also what EastWest programs did you purchase? Maybe I can do some investigating here it you have the same as I.
Posted By: furry Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/05/18 01:56 PM
I tried one at a time. I downloaded choirs, steinway piano & orchestra gold. I'll get back to reason for now
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/05/18 03:17 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD Audio Interface is the one I use Mario and MME or ASIO gives the same results

Most of the time.... ASIO should perform way better than MME... Listening to the sample you posted, my first thought was you were running the EW samples through MME.

The thing that has me thinking it doesn't work with ASIO is due to the fact that I could not find any reference to it being able to work with ASIO drivers on it's website. Hence the reason you don't hear a difference. I might have missed it, but I didn't see it.

You might want to try the newer WASAPI driver to see if that makes a difference... or perhaps ASIO4ALL. Personally, I could never get ASIO4ALL to work. If you find that it doesn't work, remove it from the computer so it doesn't screw with other things in the machine.

First, see if the interface actually works with ASIO and then be sure you have it loaded properly and have the latency and the buffers set up correctly. Improperly sized buffers will cause issues most often on playback but not so much on the rendering. Playback has to happen in real time, but rendering can take it's time to get it right.... even with sub-par drivers.

E/W is a really nice sampler.... hope you get it functional
Posted By: furry Re: Rendering not smooth need advice - 01/05/18 11:01 PM
As I mentioned in my above post, I've pulled the plug on it as I've ha denough. I'm getting back to composing which has been at a standstill for the last couple of weeks. Must take advantage of a roll I've been on lately.

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it
© PG Music Forums