PG Music Home
Posted By: wish Problems with XLR jack - 02/01/18 06:55 AM
Hi, I am using BiaB for my backing tracks, converted to an MP3 file and loaded onto my IPad. From there it's vocal and acoustic guitar.
When I plug a mini jack to a 1/4" into my speaker or Mixer it's all good.
I have a TC Helicon voice solo which I want to use as a foldback speaker (I'm old and deaf.) I wanted to use the XLR/1/4" combo input for the IPad but only half of the signal comes through. If I pan the signal on my iPad to the right (I'm using an app called Onsong to enable me to do this) I get a full signal. At first I thought there was an issue with the Helicon but if I try the same thing with my JBL powered speaker the same thing happens, but using the second input which is a 1/4" it's normal.
So in short am I right in presuming a XLR/1/4" combo gives a different signal to a dedicated 1/4" stereo jack.
Confused but appreciate any comments.
Posted By: Paj Re: Problems with XLR jack - 02/01/18 09:54 AM
Balanced mono is not stereo.

Paj
8^)
Posted By: wish Re: Problems with XLR jack - 02/01/18 05:58 PM
Sorry, I have no idea what that means.
Posted By: jford Re: Problems with XLR jack - 02/01/18 06:08 PM
Quote:
Sorry, I have no idea what that means.

The 3-pin XLR connection is a mono connection. The 1/4" balanced connection takes what looks like a stereo audio cable, but it's not a stereo cable. It's a mono connection. The article below describes what happens in an unbalanced versus balanced connection and the different cables used.

Balanced versus Unbalanced
Posted By: wish Re: Problems with XLR jack - 02/01/18 07:00 PM
Thank you for that, at least I know that my inputs are ok.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Problems with XLR jack - 02/01/18 08:33 PM
This is a frequent question. You are not alone.
Posted By: wish Re: Problems with XLR jack - 02/02/18 09:09 AM
So just one last question to tidy up.......
If I bought a mini jack to XLR ....will that solve the issue of panning the sound to right or left.
Please say yes cause I just bought one on E Bay!!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Problems with XLR jack - 02/02/18 11:00 AM
XLR is still a mono connection. At best you may have the mono signal to both LEFT and RIGHT. You would need to let us know your complete signal path with cables/adapters listed to help us more.

IPAD to this adapter, to this cable, to speaker, etc.
Posted By: wish Re: Problems with XLR jack - 02/18/18 06:50 PM
This connection works a treat for me, problem solved.
© PG Music Forums