PG Music Home
Posted By: Tobias PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/05/18 09:45 PM
I have BIAB/RB 2016 and PTPA 10. Sonar LE finds and recognizes the PG Plug Ins. But, I can not find where they are on my computer so I can not either point Reaper to them or copy them to my VST_Dxi folder.
Where are they?
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/05/18 10:33 PM
If you are using Reaper 64 it will not recognize PGMusic DX Plug-ins which are 32 bit. Same for 32 bit DXi instruments. The 32 bit version of Reaper will recognize them.

Regards
Vintage
Posted By: jford Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/06/18 10:06 AM
And just to be clear, you can't move DXi files to another folder. DX's are installed via an exe file and registered in the Windows registry. Unlike VST's, which can freely be moved.

And it's exactly what Vintage said, you need a 32-bit host to use these 32-plugins. Hopefully, if BIAB ever goes to 64-bit, we will then get either 64-bit DX plugins, or better yet, rewritten as VST plugins.
Posted By: MarioD Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/06/18 12:12 PM
There are a number of DX to VST wrappers available, i.e. google/bing dx to vst wrapper. That coupled with jBridge MAY solve your problem.

Like John I wish BiaB was 64 bit and all of their DXes would be converted to VSTs. YMMV
Posted By: DrDan Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/06/18 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: VintageGibson
If you are using Reaper 64 it will not recognize PGMusic DX Plug-ins which are 32 bit. Same for 32 bit DXi instruments. The 32 bit version of Reaper will recognize them.

Regards
Vintage

That just don't sound right to me. crazy
Posted By: rharv Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/06/18 09:42 PM
FWIW I have yet to find success at this.
For me personally, I'd rather use the Reaper native plugins for most of the FX that are available as PGMusic DX FX (or many times use other options I have available), but one guy I am working with likes the PG FX, so I did make a modest effort to find them in Reaper .. no joy so far.
Granted I am running 64 bit Reaper on the machines that have Reaper, so can't confirm whether using 32 bit Reaper would make a difference. I suppose it's possible.

I wouldn't discard VintageGibson's response without trying it (if you want it bad enough).
I can see how it's possible for 32 bit DX FX to work in a 32 bit host compared to 64.
Just know there may be trade offs in the other direction; other 64 bit plugins will likely not be available natively in a 32 bit host.
So you *may* gain PGMusic FX and lose many others.

Posted By: VintageGibson Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/06/18 10:28 PM
to MusicStudent

Trust me it works, a couple of years ago I wanted to use a specific DXi in Reaper but couldn't find it, nor could I find the PG DX plugins. After some searching I thought that it may be the 64 bit vs 32 bit issue. I installed Reaper 32 and it picked up all my PG DX and DXi.
As Rharv says, there may be trade offs that I haven't found, but since I have both versions I should be covered.

Regards
Vintage
Posted By: rharv Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/06/18 10:35 PM
Thanks for confirming VintageGibson!
Much appreciated.
Posted By: DrDan Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/06/18 11:40 PM
Originally Posted By: VintageGibson
to MusicStudent

Trust me it works, a couple of years ago I wanted to use a specific DXi in Reaper but couldn't find it, nor could I find the PG DX plugins. After some searching I thought that it may be the 64 bit vs 32 bit issue. I installed Reaper 32 and it picked up all my PG DX and DXi.
As Rharv says, there may be trade offs that I haven't found, but since I have both versions I should be covered.

Regards
Vintage

I am sure I have or do run some older 32 bit plugings in my 64 bit Reaper. A Quick google showed this:

You need to enable the feature in the REAPER installation dialog, not sure if it's on by default. After that it works transparently, you use x32 plugins just like x64 and REAPER bridges them automatically for you. The bridge itself opens an extra window for the plugin, but you can just close that.
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/07/18 06:55 AM
That's interesting, and more convenient than my current method.
I'll check it out.

Vintage
Posted By: jford Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/07/18 04:16 PM
Quote:
I am sure I have or do run some older 32 bit plugings in my 64 bit Reaper.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about VST/VSTi plugins there, not DX/DXi plugins. Two completely different animals.

I believe Reaper is just doing it's own internal wrapper to present 32-bit plugins to the 64-bit host, just like jBridge does and just like Sonar also did. Of course, with jBridge installed, BIAB and RealBand do this seamlessly as well.
Posted By: rharv Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/07/18 08:57 PM
I think jford is correct.
These are different because they are not VST plugins, they are 32 bit DX FX. They get installed in Windows and all that goes with it. Hence the need for the separate installer for them.
That's much different than a standalone VST plugin.

Attached picture PGFX_Installer.jpg
Posted By: Tobias Re: PG PlugIns in Reaper? How? - 02/09/18 04:33 AM
Thanks for all of your input on this. I guess I'll just let it go. I have plenty of other plug ins that are quite suitable. But, I remember using the PG plug ins in Power Tracks and I thought they were quite suffice as far as sound and functionality.
© PG Music Forums