PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith from Oz Cable TV Box - 08/12/18 02:41 AM
This is neither about computers or music, but I'm hoping someone may guide me.

I recently received a new cable TV set top box to replace my outdated one. The old one had RCA audio output jacks which I connected to my home sound system via an RCA stereo lead, giving me excellent sound to watch TV & movies.

However the new cable box doesn't have RCA outputs, but it does have a USB3.0 which I understand is an outlet.

If I was to get a USB to RCA lead. do you think that would work? Or would it need some type of interface?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Cable TV Box - 08/12/18 08:36 AM
You will need an interface. However, examine the box and see if it also has an HDMI output. You can use that without an interface if your TV also has HDMI. If the device has HDMI but your TV does not, most big box stores stock cables that will convert the signals and they are relatively cheap. Walmart, target, best buy, etc.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Cable TV Box - 08/12/18 12:02 PM
Hi Keith,

Does your TV have audio outs? My cable box does not have audio (RCA) outs either however my TV does. I run the TV audio outs to my stereo with no problems. My TV's internal audio is different than my TV's audio outs so I can turn off my TV's internal audio and it will not have any effect on its audio outs.

good luck.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Cable TV Box - 08/12/18 02:06 PM
Keith, I need to know the other half of your setup, what system are you running the audio into?

It sounds like you do not have HDMI on all your equipment? If you do you use HDMI for everything. In my case I have a 10 year old or even older Sanyo surround receiver with no HDMI but it has a Toslink optical in for digital audio. My new Sharp TV has an optical out so I run the audio like this: Cable box HDMI>TV>Toslink optical>Sanyo. A Toslink cable is also cheap and readily available.

BTW, this forum is the correct place to post a question like this because it is specifically NOT for PG products or musical questions.

Bob
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Cable TV Box - 08/13/18 01:04 AM
Charlie, Mario, Bob - thank you for your responses.
I'll do a little more checking when I get home; there are quite a few different sockets on both the TV and the cable box, so I'll look a little closer.
Posted By: Mikke Re: Cable TV Box - 11/01/18 04:54 PM
Hey Keith,

Get it figured out?

I was going to suggest looking for an Optical Out on your TV and an Optical on your receiver.

RCA is no longer being produced as it cannot deal with digital audio. There is not straightforward conversion from analog to digital audio.

Typically, TV systems typically carry older RCA ports to accommodate older devices. If your TV has a Optical Out, you can use your TV as a hub, and send the sound via optical to the receiver.

As Bob said, it would be very helpful to know what TV and Receiver we are discussing.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Cable TV Box - 11/01/18 05:26 PM
This apparently, has been solved.

Go to Amazon and type: usb3 to rca audio .... into the search bar.

There are devices that will do this for about $12 plus shipping.

A bit further down that page there's a simpler looking one for half that cost.

Anything that plugs into a USB port will very likely have a converter/interface built in that will do the job. It might even load it's own drivers.

Anytime you want something that you think is hard to find..... Amazon has it. Guaranteed.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Cable TV Box - 11/18/18 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hi Keith,

Does your TV have audio outs? My cable box does not have audio (RCA) outs either however my TV does. I run the TV audio outs to my stereo with no problems. My TV's internal audio is different than my TV's audio outs so I can turn off my TV's internal audio and it will not have any effect on its audio outs.

good luck.

This is how we do it as well
© PG Music Forums