PG Music Home
Posted By: Paj REALLY doesn't add up. - 08/29/18 07:49 PM
So, I'm in the process of re-assigning/moving libraries to "internal" HD drives for use in a newly ordered system and I really came face to face with some algorithmic shortcomings in Windows. When I did properties for a 4TB HD it reported 3.75TB used. When I opened up the root directory and selected all the files and folders on the drive, it only reported 1.6TB used. When I selected/highlit my third-party (open-source) Kontakt libraries folder it reported 0.65TB used. When I opened the same folder and selected all the folders it contained, it then reported 2.1TB used. When I went to delete the folder, after scanning, Windows reported 2.46TB to be deleted. So, the initial usage report from the drive's root directory was only about 1/4 of the actual capacity being used. The highest and the lowest level reports were the most accurate and everything in between was inaccurate, mildly or widely so. Weird.

Paj

8^?
Posted By: Mikke Re: REALLY doesn't add up. - 08/30/18 05:37 PM
Hey Paj,

This is purely speculation, but I assume you maybe be running into hidden files. When you install a library or application, there could be certain files that are hidden and will not come up in a normal property search.

Typically this will give you a bit of a discrepancy when comparing the file size, and the size of the folder when being deleted.

See if selecting 'Hidden' in your properties give you some more accurate results.
Posted By: Paj Re: REALLY doesn't add up. - 09/04/18 02:25 AM
Mikke,

Thanks for the reply. If it is hidden files (I do have them set globally to display), they're still being tallied inconsistently, depending if you check properties for a disk icon in "This PC" or after you have selected/highlighted everything in the root directory of the same disk. The former appears to be accurate. The large discrepancies I'm experiencing would seem to indicate something else is in play. I don't think it's a mundane worry but, maybe, something to be aware of for critical storage considerations.

In any event, thanks for taking the time to think about it and respond.

Paj
8^)
© PG Music Forums