PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Opening Midi onto separate tracks. - 09/06/18 01:36 AM
I have a fair number midis from my previous play with BIAB (and a ton from the newsgroup days) that, when opened in this version of BIAB, open on one track--everything from drums to guitars on one track.

1. Is there a setting or option within BIAB or RB that will open the separate instruments onto different tracks?

2. Does anybody know of an app that will convert an "all-on-one" type midi into one that contains all the tracks separately. One is Type 0 (or 1), the other is Type 1 (or 2), but I don't recall which is which.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Opening Midi onto separate tracks. - 09/06/18 08:01 AM
Others will advise on BIAB capabilites to do this. I routinely use RB to do this....quick and easy...splits Type 0 to Type 1.

Jeff
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Opening Midi onto separate tracks. - 09/06/18 08:09 AM
I agree with Jeff, Realband or a DAW would give more control over opening MIDI.

With BIAB, it has always opened MIDI as a multi-track MIDI file on either Soloist of Melody tracks. That's how the program works. The other tracks -- Piano, Drums, Bass, etc. -- are reserved for BIAB to create backings, they were not designed to unpack MIDI files on.

It can be done in a roundabout way, if you want. When the MIDI file is loaded on either Melody or Soloist, it would be possible to use "Edit | Copy Special | Copy/Move Tracks" to move a specific MIDI track to one of BIAB tracks. Once moved, though, it's necessary to freeze that track or else BIAB will overwrite it when the song is generated.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Hi,

When you use "Copy/Move Tracks", the destination track should be automatically frozen, so that shouldn't be a concern, but I'd just use RealBand too. RealBand is very well-suited to editing MIDI files, Band-in-a-Box is best at its main purpose, generating backing tracks based on chords.

BIAB doesn't make a great DAW since so many MIDI editing options are only available on the Melody and Soloist track.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Opening Midi onto separate tracks. - 09/06/18 10:55 PM
Success! Thanks, Gentlemen.
Posted By: Paj Re: Opening Midi onto separate tracks. - 09/08/18 12:33 PM
FWIW, PowerTracks also has a dialog that gives you this option when you open a Type0 file.

Paj
8^)
© PG Music Forums