PG Music Home
Topic: USB and audiostuttering with AMD Radeon - Windows 10 . Maybe worth a sticky?

I'd like to share this. I think i finally found why USB audio stutters happen especially with AMD games graphics cards and Windows 10 64bit 1803. In my case i was forced to use the default Microsoft GPU drivers, but then i had occasional graphics related crashes with Cubase among others. So i reinstalled the latest AMD Radeon drivers. Again stuttering, appearing after a while, especially after playing f.i. Youtube videos etc.

As such it seemed to me that some buffer gradually overloads, so i searched across various gaming sites and found this solution, and it seems to work:

Quote:
Performance Tip for AMD GPU users for stutter/lag

Microstuttering and laggy playback is an all-too-known issue with any gaming system, and some good people on the net have come up with a possible issue with AMD installs:

AMD installs a service to write to the Event Log called ATIeRecord. If your event logs are huge and/or fragmented, then this service will record while you are gaming, and the recording lag from bad fragmented system files will hammer your performance with lags and stutters.

The fix?

Disable the service.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Atierecord]
"eRecordEnable"=dword:00000000

Set to "1" by default which enables it. Disable it by setting it to "0" ................

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: If you install, re-install or update the AMD Radeon drivers it is set back to '1' !!

PS, there seems to be a similar thing with NVDIA GPU cards, maybe there's some related setting.
fiddler,

That's a very useful find. Windows 10 has been causing you grief for quite a while now!

Great detective work!

Noel
Thanks, I'll give this a try (I see that registry key is present in Win 7 too). I get occasional sound glitches with my Behringer UMC404HD, so I'll see if this helps.
Worked with AMD drivers, Cubase, BIAB, and also tested some Youtubes in between, for about 5 hours now ... SO FAR SO GOOD !!!
I'll be testing over the course of the week as I can. I'll try to report back as well.
PS i found a way to install just the bare GPU drivers, without the gaming ballox, GPU audio and more; first uninstall (i used an AMD cleanup tool). Reboot and then manually select the appropriate driver via Device Manager, by locating it yourself. in my case i copied it first from C:\AMD\Packages\Drivers\Radeon-Adrenalin-18.5.1-c0328911-win10-64bit-180522_drvWHQL, an installer folder.

Important: You'll still have to disable the Atierecord registry entry after that. Seems stable now regarding audio stutter, and my graphics issues with the standard Microsoft drivers seems over. I did use an older driver in my case; my AMD GPU card is 4 years old now. -F
Originally Posted By: jford
I'll be testing over the course of the week as I can. I'll try to report back as well.

Follow up: still had some stuttering, showing up after quite some time. And only with BIAB, wavelab and/or Cubase active. All three graphics intensive programs IMO.

It's again like some buffer is gradually filling up, maybe related to USB, or even Direct X as cause?

So i installed the full latest version of AMD drivers again, and i'm trying various settings, see picture, but so far it seems the same. The lot works OK for sometimes quite a while, suddenly stuttering starts, and then i switch off my USB UFX, and for a short while i can work again. Only a reboot results in a longer stutter-free period. Tips welcome.

Attached picture AMD Radeon gaming settings 01.jpg
UPDATE: no more stuttering so far with the settings above, only sometimes some Youtube video buffer seems overloaded. But i don't want anymore Adobe flash player stuff on my PC, might be the cause ...
© PG Music Forums