PG Music Home
Hi,

I know there are a lot of Windows experts here so I'll try this before I register on another forum (windows help). I have registered on so many one-time forums to solve one problem that my password manager app is so big it's hard to find things on it without extensive scrolling.

OK, on with the problem.

I bought a new ThinkPad computer and want to install Microsoft's SyncToy on it. SyncToy syncs the files on my local hard drive to an external drive so that I always have a backup copy.

So I d/l the latest SyncToy, double-click the exe, installation starts, and then gets interrupted telling me I need to install Net Framework 2.0.50727 and asks if I want to install it now.

I click "yes" it leads me to a page where I can install it, and it tells me that Net Framework is already installed on this computer.

I have no idea how to handle this, it seems to have put me in a loop.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob
Notes....

I'm just shooting from the hip here.

If it were me based on your comments above:
1) make sure Sync Toy is Uninstalled completely....reboot.
2) After reboot...click on Windows Update and let it do it's thing to make sure you're current with Windows Updates...reboot it necessary.
3) After reboot....disable any anti-virus programs running in the background.
4) Now try to install your new app.
5) If it goes well, reboot to be sure it installed properly and to re-engage your anti virus programs and start afresh.

Again...just a protocol I've come to adhere to by default when it comes to installing new apps....some can be quite finicky as we all know.
Hopefully others will have some ideas too.

Carry on....I need more coffee.

No guarantee I'm correct but it's still a good starting point.
Hope all goes well....
I concur with the advice just given.
Everything above looks good. Sync Toy should know what's installed if all of your Windows Updates are caught up.

You can go to Programs and Features and see what version of NET Framework is currently installed and see if that differs from the Sync Toy pop-up.

You may need to uninstall which ever version of NET Framework is on your machine and hit Windows Update again after.

FWIW, I don't seem to have a version of NET Framework in my Programs and Features. It may be integrated into the OS nowadays, I'm really not sure.
Thanks chulaivet1966, Matt, and Steve.

SyncToy was never installed on this computer, so it wasn't possible to uninstall. But that is a time tested way of fixing stubborn problems.

.NET framework can no longer be uninstalled without making a lot of changes in the registry (or so I read), something I'm reluctant to do.

I'm continuing the searching other forums without having to register. I dislike having to register to fix one problem, never needing to go back again, and having my identity there forever. This does 2 things, makes my password manager list way to long, hiding the things I use often, and leaves my digital fingerprint on that site available for crackers (nefarious hackers).

So while googling other forums (actually I use Startpage.com because it doesn't track me) I found this gem:

1) Control panel
2) Programs and features (been there many times for this problem)
3) Here is where I didn't know to go Turn Windows Features On Or Off - I've never had an occasion to use this before

When I got there, I get the "Do you want to allow Microsoft to make changes" - I replied "yes" and lo and behold, .NET Framework 4.7 Advanced Services is checked but .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) is not.

So I set a system restore point and click the unchecked box, Microsoft says it needs to download some files, which took about 15 minutes, then installed them, and said it was finished.

So I clicked "Close" went back to my SyncToy download and it worked!!!

Thanks again for your generous help and suggestions. I love new computers but setting them up requires more time and patience than I want to give them.

Bob
So that's what happened to .NET. Thanks! You taught me something. Glad you got it fixed!
Thanks.

I learned something myself.

SyncToy worked perfectly last night.

I put it in the 'echo' mode, leave the external drive off all day, and before shutting the computer down at night run both a back-up and a sync toy.

Why both?

Backup (disk image) works great for restoring things lost.

If I screw up a single file, or accidentally delete something, I can turn on the external drive, and with SyncToy the old version is just a drag and drop away.

And it doesn't hurt to have 2 backup copies of my data.

Insights and incites by Notes
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
....... and then gets interrupted telling me I need to install Net Framework 2.0.50727 and asks if I want to install it now.

I click "yes" it leads me to a page where I can install it, and it tells me that Net Framework is already installed on this computer.

I have no idea how to handle this, it seems to have put me in a loop. Any ideas? Thanks, Bob

I just had that with Visual basic installing 2015. I removed 2017, and then reinstalled it after running the 2015 installers then successfully. F
Posted By: golyro Re: Win10 problem, Net Framework and Sync Toy - 02/01/24 09:26 AM
Why not to use Robocopy or Teracopy ?

Also check Duplicati and Gs Richcopy 360 , no problem with the installation and all are full featureda
© PG Music Forums