PG Music Home
Posted By: bloos66 Not able to associate SGU files with BIAB 64 - 12/15/18 01:11 AM
Hi,

I run Windows10 (all updated) and am not able to associate the SGU files with BIAB64, it doesn't even come up as an available application. If I locate the exe file in the BIAB folder, it doesn't work, the Windows service called 'Pick an application' in Task Manager hangs.

Is this a known issues, is it particular to my computer, and/or is there a fix?

BIAB32 works fine, and I can simply keep using that. Still, it'd be nice to run the 64bit version.

Thanks, Paul
Try a right click on the SGU or other BB file then “open with” look for the BBW64 in the BB folder and tick the box always open with. (That’s how I got it. Did the same with other BB file types)

(Edit) Forget that it does not keep the setting. Windows even shows the BBW64 option but does not take

Tony
If SGU/MGU files are associated with BBW.EXE (i.e 32-bit BIAB), this will need to be released before associating the file extension with BIAB64.EXE.

To do this, open BIAB 32-bit and follow the 1, 2, 3 on the image below.

When that's done, exit BIAB and now open BIAB64 and follow image except this time choosing to add the associate rather than remove it.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture setting file extension association.JPG
Thanks Noel, I also had to run the 64bit as admin. Then I avoided a windows error.

Works fine now.

Tony
Hi Tony and Noel,

Thanks for all your help, but none of that worked for me.

Using the File Utility functions, BIAB recognised that the associations had been removed, but Explorer didn't. Whatever I did in both the 32bit and 64bit apps (removing and adding associations), running both as Admin, Explorer still opened every SGU file in BIAB 32bit.

Even after removing the associations, Explorer still showed them as existing and the files opened just fine. Shutting down Explorer and opening it up didn't make a difference.

Cheers, Paul
Paul, are you on the latest build of BIAB? I did see this in late testing but I thought it was fixed.
Hi Matt,

yes, latest version - 606.

Latest news - it's working, but not from within BIAB. Interestingly, after doing the linking/unlinking from within BIAB 32 and 64, BIAB64 now appears as a valid option in Explorer, and associating SGU files with BIAB64 in Explorer itself now works.

Thanks so much for all your help, I got it to work..

Now I only need to get the 32bit DX plug-ins working in 64bit, or wait until they are released.

Cheers, Paul
Paul,

I have Windows 7 and to manually set the open MGU and SGU to BBW64.EXE, I have to do the following. This process might be something similar for you.

1. Start Control Panel.

2. Select "Default Programs".

3. Select "Associate a file type of protocol with a program".

4. Scroll through the list and find .MGU (ignore all the other MG? files associated with Band In A Box -- these are older file-types that are rarely used today). (See image #1.)

5. Select "Change program" (#2 on image).

6. Navigate to \bb and select bbw64.exe.

7. OK

8. Now find .SGU and repeat the above.

9. Close.

The file-types MGU and SGU are now associated with BBW64.EXE (i.e. the 64-bit BIAB).

Regards,
Noel

Update: I see you got it working while I was typing the above. I'll leave this post up in case it's useful to someone in the future.

Attached picture setting file extension association in Win 7.JPG
On my system, I can associate the files and double clicking the icon will open BIAB but BIAB does not load the SGU file. This seems to be connected to a lag in the information loading with the song section of the Main Screen including the title, Style, number of Chorus's, tempo and Key Signature.
Charlie,

If you have BIAB open and then double-click on the file, does the file open in BIAB?

Regards,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Charlie,

If you have BIAB open and then double-click on the file, does the file open in BIAB?

Regards,
Noel

No. A second session of BIAB opens but it doesn't open the SGU file. I have two blank BIAB sessions.

I have MGU and SGU files associated with 32 bit so it doesn't recognize if the 64 bit version is open either.

I have both versions set to run as Administrator and running the very latest update.
Hi Charlie,

What about when you turn off allowing multiple instances of BIAB? Does that make any difference?

Also, have you checked the file associations manually using the method I outline a couple of posts up (#509923)? File associations can only work with a single program at a time.

Regards,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Charlie,

What about when you turn off allowing multiple instances of BIAB? Does that make any difference?

No. It does not make a difference.

Also, have you checked the file associations manually using the method I outline a couple of posts up (#509923)? File associations can only work with a single program at a time.

Yes. That post is what prompted me to comment about my situation. I may have muddied the waters a bit because my situation is quite different from the original poster's problem. In my case, the association is properly recognized and the correct program opens, (version 32 bit which is what I want at this time) but once BIAB is open, the SGU file I selected to open doesn't. I have a new blank session of BIAB. At that point, I can select and open the desired SGU file normally.
I had the same problem, I decided I didn't need the choice of 64 bit and 32 bit installed at the same time.

My solution then was to rename bbw.exe to bbw32.exe for safe-keeping, copied a version of bbw64.exe to the desktop, renamed it bbw.exe and moved it back into the bb folder.

Since then a double click on any biab file does the trick. Saves specifically opening the 64bit version before opening the required file.

The caveat to that is if you update or re-install the now 64 bit bbw.exe will be overwritten with the 32 bit version again.
Thanks Jonbouy. I thought the issue is likely related to the similarities of the two versions. Over the years I've been using BIAB, one of the updates corrects the issue and the association works normally from that point on. It's nothing more than a minor inconvenience at the moment so I'll probably just bide my time. It's good to know the problem isn't isolated to my system.
Hey Jonbouy,

You certainly do not want to rename .EXE files, this is a quick way to break an application smile

For anyone having the File Association issue, or not having a Desktop icon for both the 32 and 64bit version, this can be resolved by upgrading to the latest build.

Currently, the latest build is 614:

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#614

If you are still having issues, always feel free to hop on chat or give us a ring at Support.
Originally Posted By: Mikke - PG Music
Hey Jonbouy,

You certainly do not want to rename .EXE files, this is a quick way to break an application smile

Agreed. Unless you are aware of the rammifications of renaming said files of course.

Originally Posted By: Mikke - PG Music

For anyone having the File Association issue, or not having a Desktop icon for both the 32 and 64bit version, this can be resolved by upgrading to the latest build.

Currently, the latest build is 614:

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#614

If you are still having issues, always feel free to hop on chat or give us a ring at Support.

Indeed that holds true now the installer has matured enough for the file associations to be applied to both 64 and 32 bit installs correctly.

Remember that post was made when it was all very messed up and drastic workarounds had to be performed to get anything going (e.g. double cliicking an SGU would always open the 32 bit version), etc. You will remember all that of course as it was only a few weeks ago.

Also you'll note that I did contact support on several issues and the advise I got was basically to wait a few builds which does seem to be turning out to be a good move.

614 has certainly seen the back of the file association issue being discussed here earlier.
Glad to find this. This solution worked. (Just upgraded from an older 32-bit version to BIAB 2021, and I was wondering how to change the file associations to the 64-bit version.)
© PG Music Forums