PG Music Home
Posted By: debitspread Best USB card for Master Tune? - 01/19/19 02:31 AM
I have an old Dell Inspiron laptop with a Sound Blaster X-Fi Go USB card.

I want to use Master Tune in BiaB 2019, but my current external card doesn't support that function.

Can anyone recommend some other kind of hardware that would let me run the Master Tune function?

Thanks for any guidance you may have.

Steve
Posted By: Deadboy Re: Best USB card for Master Tune? - 06/18/20 09:18 AM
My soundcard does support master tune, according to BiaB's soundcard master tune capability test dialogue but, when I then alter the master tune setting in the master tune dialogue, and click on 'OK', the tuning change is not carried over to the songs.

Have I missed out a step in the above?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Best USB card for Master Tune? - 06/18/20 12:30 PM
Can you guys tell us exactly what "master tune" is. Google says it has something to do with a bicycle.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Best USB card for Master Tune? - 06/18/20 06:34 PM
This setting (Options | GM Settings | Master Tuning) is only for MIDI, and would not affect RealTracks at all. In addition, I'm not sure if this will work for VST synths at all, so is most likely not very useful these days - unless you are using a dedicated external MIDI module...
Posted By: Deadboy Re: Best USB card for Master Tune? - 06/19/20 06:46 AM
OK, thanks for coming back.
Posted By: Assmosis Re: Best USB card for Master Tune? - 06/21/20 11:57 AM
I agree with Andrew, it is not that useful unless you are using a dedicated external MIDI module.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Best USB card for Master Tune? - 06/21/20 03:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
This setting (Options | GM Settings | Master Tuning) is only for MIDI, and would not affect RealTracks at all. In addition, I'm not sure if this will work for VST synths at all, so is most likely not very useful these days - unless you are using a dedicated external MIDI module...

It is also useful if you are recording an acoustic piano that is not tuned to A=440Hz. My wife's piano is tuned to A=432Hz because the old wooden parts could break if it was tuned to A=440Hz so if I were to record it and add some tracks those tracks have to be set to 432Hz via master tune.
© PG Music Forums