PG Music Home
Posted By: 90 dB Computer HD Crash - 01/30/19 12:58 PM
My hard drive crashed. Anyone have any experience with refurbished desktops by NEWEGG.COM? I'd like to get a Win7 OS.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: sslechta Re: Computer HD Crash - 01/30/19 01:23 PM
Not a desktop but.... bought my studio laptop there refurbished 2 and a half years ago and it's still running awesome! When I had checked the service tag at Dell I found it had been from a large corporation that was upgrading machines.....

SPECS:
Dell Precision M6700 Laptop Computer, Intel Quad Core i7 3720QM 2.6GHz, 32GB DDR3, 240GB SSD and 2TB Hard Drives, 17" LCD, Windows 10 Pro
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Computer HD Crash - 01/30/19 01:31 PM
Thanks Steve. That's what I'll do.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Computer HD Crash - 01/30/19 02:07 PM
I’ve had nothing but great experiences with NewEgg with one exception: make sure what you order is really sent from NewEgg and not one of their third-party suppliers (where quality and delivery speed can vary widely). Read the description carefully to find that info.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Computer HD Crash - 01/30/19 02:24 PM
Thanks Matt. The problem I'm running into now is finding one with a HDMI output for my new monitor. They all have just VGA.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Computer HD Crash - 01/30/19 02:58 PM
Are you sure it's VGA? That's pretty old. Could it be DVI?

Anyway, I think an adapter to HDMI is not that expensive at Best Buy.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Computer HD Crash - 01/30/19 05:51 PM
Although I have had good luck with NeweggI have not purchased a computer from them. I have purchased a number of refurbished desktop computers for people from Tigerdirect.com.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=6&sel=Detail%3B163_1099_32575_32575

I had problems with only one and Tigerdirect replaced it with no problems what so ever.

I would suggest that you look for a system with Win 10 though. Win 7 will not be supported after Dec. 2019. You should see no difference between the two systems, except the fact that Win 10 will be supported.

{edit} typo
Posted By: Mikke Re: Computer HD Crash - 01/30/19 06:58 PM
Hey!

NewEgg and Tiger Direct are always awesome companies that I cannot recommend enough when looking for Refurbished computers.

If you are having issues finding a HDMI Out, see if they have a DVI Out. That is the White Rectangle that looks like a bigger VGA.

Unlike VGA, DVI is a Digital Output, and only requires a $5 DVI to HDMI adapter. Once you get the computer, you might want to take a picture of the DVI port before getting the adapter, as there are a couple of different types, Ie DVI-D, DVI-I.

Also Also, Read the specs, these may actually have HDMI, as some Motherboards use Mini HDMI.
© PG Music Forums