PG Music Home
Hey there folks,

Totally off-topic, so apologies in advance.

A few days ago, (perhaps due to some covert update that snuck in unbeknownst to me), everytime I try and adjust the volume from my keyboard this incredibly annoying and useless banner pops up that often obscures a significant portion of my screen for an annoying length of time before fading away (see screenshot).

I used to get a sliver of a popup that indicated the volume level. It was small and unobtrusive, and exactly how I like it.

Can anyone here please, oh please tell me how to get rid of this awful thing?

Thanks in advance!

Attached picture annoying thing 2.png
I just started getting something similar when adjusting the sample rate of my Focusrite interface, so I understand the annoyance.

Yours is not that, of course. It looks like something of a volume control from Chrome, a Google browser. Are you using a Google browser? Perhaps it’s something you can go into the Google Settings to adjust.

It’s interesting there doesn’t appear to be a control point to close that window. Perhaps a transparent X just outside of the area of the picture (the red border)?
By the way, if it is a legitimate Windows window, highlight it and do Alt+F4 to close it.
Try a different browser. From the screen shot it appears you're using Chrome. I suspect this maybe the result of a browser update.
I'm just guessing here but ..
MS decided to base Edge on Chrome and work with Chrome development.
As a result IE/Edge is expected to improve greatly.

However as a side effect, Chrome is now probably learning some new MS OS 'hooks' and able to experiment with them.
Chrome also (I think in April) started blocking multiple file downloads from a website on one click .. I immediately assumed the MS development towards Chrome was the source, but again just a guess on my part. It's now an option in Chrome to 'allow' a site to download multiple files at once but not the default.

This simple change broke some web apps we control and was a PITA for a bit.
There may be other new 'features' in Chrome along the path of this new development.
I'm hoping the IE/Edge improvements make it all worth while, but a little worried with some other 'side effects' in Chrome.

Wondering if this particular issue is possibly one of the new features Chrome is experimenting with ..
We're talking Chrome/Google right? I just put into Google "Chrome.exe popup".

Chrome Popup

Bob
Nice catch Bob; looks like it's indeed another new Chrome 'flag' thing, much like the download limiter I mentioned above..
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
We're talking Chrome/Google right? I just put into Google "Chrome.exe popup".

Chrome Popup

Bob

Thanks Bob! Usually my Google-Fu is pretty good, but for some stupid reason I spent all my time looking in Windows 10 forums instead...
I do that all the time, haha
Funny, guys. Good job, Bob.

Was this solved?
YES, it was!

Thanks again Bob :-)
Thanks
© PG Music Forums