PG Music Home
Posted By: musiclover Strange GPU problem [Resolved] - 10/17/19 10:16 AM
Hi folks,

I have a strange problem with an Nvidia GT 710 GPU.

I am running windows 10 64 bit 1903, when I start my music applications just after a restart everything just works fine, but maybe after three times running the music applications the font errors on the plugins creep in, and I have to restart the computer again to get rid of the error which of course repeats itself yet again.

I have tried updating GPU driver going back to old drivers but it doesn't fix it, maybe there is some setting on the Nvidia control panel that might fix this?

first image is how it should work, please click on second image to see error below first image.

Happens in Cubase DAW as well as Biab. Only happens in certain plugins for example addictive drums and Sampletank are fine.

Any ideas appreciated,

Attached picture Vacuumm pro error.jpg
Attached File
vacuumpro 2.png  (8 downloads)
Posted By: sslechta Re: Strange GPU problem - 10/17/19 11:54 AM
Do you know what triggered this to happen? Was there a Windows update or anything before it did? How long has it been an issue? Just trying to understand more before going on.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Strange GPU problem - 10/17/19 12:39 PM
Thanks for reply. I do go into Biab frequently but havent't checked the Synth in it for a while now, same thing happens in Cubase so its not a Baib problem.

Little plate plugin from Soundtoys has more or less the same problem, GUI ok after a restart but then after a few times closing and opening Cubase the plugin goes all distorted and strange

Used to work fine all the time but I did update to windows 10 1903 some time ago so don't know if that has a bearing on it.

Just find it strange that a restart cures the problem for a while until the error returns and its a restart again to clear the error for a while once again.

So it does come across, if it works a few times after a restart it must be some resource or something on my computer that is being used up and causing the error.

mMybe this has a bearing as well,

The desktop is over nine years old, does have a quad core and 4gb of RAM and also an SSD, overall it does run pretty good and fast enough
Maybe its a programming thing in the application and since I upgraded to 1909 might have a bearing on it, as with previous version of 10 worked fine.
Don't think its memory as Taskmanager shows at least 25% free and CPU at 40%. System temp are fine GPU at 46 and CPU at 50

No malware as I scan often.

Strange one though as after a restart it works ok for a while.

Update.

Problem solved I think as tests so far point to our old friend Avast antivirus being the culprit, which is a bit strange in itself as it allows the vst to load partly.

at least I Know what it is now.

Thanks again , hope it helps others.

Posted By: sslechta Re: Strange GPU problem - 10/17/19 01:11 PM
Thanks for sharing the resolution! So I guess you just have to disable or stop Avast while you run your audio software?
Posted By: musiclover Re: Strange GPU problem - 10/17/19 02:58 PM
I will try to create an exception in Avast settings and see how it goes.

I have had problems with Avast and biab before but usually got some sort of notification, this time is different, the software partly working as in screenshots.

A right pain trying to figure out what is causing it, thought first it was GPU driver, must have spent a few hours sorting it out.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Strange GPU problem - 10/17/19 04:20 PM
As I have said many times that I disable all anti stuff and the Ethernet card when I use my music software. Each of these have caused problems. It was said that Bluetooth also can cause problems so shut that down also. The Bluetooth problem doesn't surprise me as I have had problems with cellphones when are in close proximity to either my guitar, keyboard or computer.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Strange GPU problem - 10/18/19 05:06 AM
I have to agree 100% with you Mario, I think we can add Anti-virus to that list.

Hope you have got your computer totally rebuilt now and have sorted out what backup software you want to use.
© PG Music Forums