PG Music Home
Posted By: Mus W10 Virtual Midi Keyboard app - 10/24/19 03:41 PM
Hello folks,

Anyone know of a full screen Win10 Virtual Midi Keyboard app that will show key presses and make noise in response to a hardware midi keyboard via USB?

I've Googled but nothing seems large enough on screen or even to work very well at all

It's for classroom tuition purposes displayed on a projector/TV.

Many thanks!

Mus
Posted By: MarioD Re: W10 Virtual Midi Keyboard app - 10/24/19 04:40 PM
You might not find a full screen keyboard due to the configuration of an 88 key keyboard. Have you tried using BiaB's big piano? That is probably as big as you can get. What I don't know is will it work with the thru channel, so that is something that you will have to look into.

Good luck.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: W10 Virtual Midi Keyboard app - 10/24/19 05:27 PM
Hi Mus

I can confirm that the big piano in BIAB does respond to your midi through voice and shows note presses.

In Realband the big piano does not, but plays notes played on it on screen with a mouse.
However the keyboard at the bottom of the page does show notes input from your thru keyboard on screen.
So one way or another you should be able to get a projectable image .

Mike.
Posted By: Mus Re: W10 Virtual Midi Keyboard app - 10/24/19 08:10 PM
Excellent, thanks Mario & Mike.

Yes indeed, I think BIAB Big Piano will do the trick!

Cheers
Mus
Posted By: DrDan Re: W10 Virtual Midi Keyboard app - 10/24/19 08:39 PM
I have looked in the past for something similar... got to be something better for what you are trying to do. this comes close... but comes at a considerable cost! And by the way, sounds pretty darn good too.

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: DrDan Re: W10 Virtual Midi Keyboard app - 10/24/19 09:04 PM
This one will also indicate the note/chord being played. Both of these two are standalone applications with excellent piano sounds. But again, costly... And did I mention how nice both of these sounds? grin

Attached picture Capture2.JPG
Posted By: Mus Re: W10 Virtual Midi Keyboard app - 11/21/19 08:06 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
This one will also indicate the note/chord being played. Both of these two are standalone applications with excellent piano sounds. But again, costly... And did I mention how nice both of these sounds? grin

Thanks Dan!

I happen to have EZ-Keys Electric Grand. It does sound great and the chord display could be really useful.

It's not full screen but I might try it in the classroom to see how it goes.

I used BIAB Big Piano successfully last week even with the latency from the HDMI TV output driver :-)

Cheers
M
Posted By: methodman Re: W10 Virtual Midi Keyboard app - 11/24/19 03:24 PM
Is it possible for the Big Piano to create aftertouch. Reason has a seperate wheel that will allow you to implement aftertouch, but is this possible to do in Biab? My keyboard doesn't produce it but I thought maybe there would be a 3rd party to do that.
Posted By: Mus Re: W10 Virtual Midi Keyboard app - 11/09/20 04:52 PM
Hello again guys,

I've been using Big Piano successfully in class but I don't currently have a midi/usb keyboard with me. Can I input chords using the laptop keyboard or a latch with a sustaining sound somehow?

Many thanks
M
© PG Music Forums