PG Music Home
Posted By: beatmaster HOLD, SHOTS ETC - 10/24/19 05:45 PM
When I try a hold or shot etc is it a full stop I use as the dot, as this is what I get and it does not work any help appreciated.

Attached picture HOLD.PNG
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: HOLD, SHOTS ETC - 10/24/19 06:23 PM
Three dots gives you a Hold. From the Help:

Rests, Shots, and Holds

"Breaks" (Rests, Shots, and Held Chords)

"Breaks" are points in a song when one or more of the instruments rests, plays a shot, or holds a chord.

Rests - You can specify any, some, or all instruments to rest at any bar. For example, you could rest all instruments except the bass for the first 4 bars, and then add in the piano for 4 bars, and then add in the entire band for the rest of the song. You may optionally disable the rests in the middle or final choruses (where people are likely taking solos, and rests are not appropriate).

Shots - You can specify certain instruments play a "shot," where the chord is played and then a rest follows. For example the song "Rock Around The Clock" has a shot on beat 1 followed by a rest for seven beats.

Held chords - You can specify that certain instruments hold a chord sustained for a certain number of bars. For example, you can have the bass and piano hold a chord sustained while the drums continue to play a pattern

A chord can be specified as a Rest by adding a period after the chord.

. indicates a C chord that is a Rest.

A chord can be specified as a Shot by adding two periods after the chord.

.. indicates a C chord that is a Shot.

A chord can be specified as a Held Chord by adding three periods after the chord.

... indicates a C chord that is a Held Chord.

Also, check that your tracks aren't frozen.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: HOLD, SHOTS ETC - 10/25/19 07:11 AM
Hi videotrack

Thanks for posting , this is great now I am getting more of an idea how its done.

Is it just a full stop on the keyboard for the dot ?, as I have done that and you can see in the image I have added that using my full stop, its up in the middle not down the bottom, that's why I think for some reason its not working for me ?.

Hope you get what I mean.

Thanks
Posted By: DrDan Re: HOLD, SHOTS ETC - 10/25/19 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster

Hope you get what I mean.

Thanks

I think I do. The font looks just like mine and it appears to work fine here. Want to share your file with us?

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: beatmaster Re: HOLD, SHOTS ETC - 10/25/19 07:35 PM
Dan I am just picking a style and putting two chords in ,then trying all the different formats one dot, two dot, etc to see if I get a result and nothing happens ?.

I would love to be able to do the stops, holds that I hear others do in their songs , another avenue.
Posted By: DrDan Re: HOLD, SHOTS ETC - 10/25/19 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Dan I am just picking a style and putting two chords in ,then trying all the different formats one dot, two dot, etc to see if I get a result and nothing happens ?.

I would love to be able to do the stops, holds that I hear others do in their songs , another avenue.

That is exactly what I did for these chords to see if it worked. Have you "Reset to FActory settings"? That will fix a world of problems in BIAB. Actually that is exactly what I had to do to get BIAB to even play...
Posted By: jford Re: HOLD, SHOTS ETC - 10/28/19 02:27 PM
Makes me wonder if there is a problem with the "holds and shots" folder (don't remember the exact name). The main RT's don't contain holds and shots (don't need any audio for rests); they are contained in the holds and shots folder and pulled from there. (This affect RT's only, as BIAB handles holds and shots for MIDI data internallY).

I would definitely try a "reset to factory defaults". I would also make sure that your RT/RD folders are set correctly. If perchance your BIAB is the result of an upgrade from pre-2018 to BIAB 2019, I would run the folder cleanup utility to make sure nothing is in the wrong place.

Just a few things to try. Holds/shots definitely work on a properly set up system (I use them all the time). I have issues with some of the holds and shots not always matching the original RT in sound and intensity (sometimes, it sounds like the hold is being played by a completely different instrument), but that's a different issue.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: HOLD, SHOTS ETC - 10/28/19 04:13 PM
Hi John And Dan

"reset to factory defaults" going to give this a go tonight.

Thanks
Posted By: beatmaster Re: HOLD, SHOTS ETC - 10/28/19 05:22 PM
Wee Update Result all working after factory reset Thanks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: HOLD, SHOTS ETC - 10/28/19 05:54 PM
Sometimes I think there should be a forum auto-response that says "If it used to work and it doesn't now, first try Return to Factory Settings" ...

Glad it's working.
© PG Music Forums