PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor SSD Drive crashed! - 01/04/20 10:40 PM
After nearly 40 years on computer, I finally lost a hard drive. It was a scary experience and made my music files ( and everything else, including family pictures ) irretrievable.

I'll be away for awhile trying to reinstall programs and apps.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: SSD Drive crashed! - 01/05/20 10:13 AM
I’m sorry, Don. I’ve had several hard drives die but never an SSD (yet). What was that like - any warnings? Messages? Can you try the drive in another computer?

Good luck.
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: SSD Drive crashed! - 01/05/20 11:29 AM
I lost a 250GB one last year. I learned a hard lesson when computers first came out back in the early 80's. Backup and backup often. When I went to SSD's a couple of years ago and took out my mechanical HD's, I did not get rid of them. I used them as a backup device and stored them in my closet just in case that day might arrive and I need to restore files.

Do yourself a favor and purchase wither a USB tumb drive or a portable hard drive, back up what is important and put it away. If fact, I would get 2 or 3 of the thumb drives since they are so darn cheap and keep one off prem if possible.

Hope you have a backup somewhere.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: SSD Drive crashed! - 01/05/20 12:19 PM
Early on I read there are two kinds of computer users:

1) Those who have had a hard disk crash

2) Those who haven't had a hard disk crash - YET

Don, there are retrieval services that might be able to salvage some or all of the data on your drive.

Good luck,
Bob
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: SSD Drive crashed! - 01/05/20 01:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I’m sorry, Don. I’ve had several hard drives die but never an SSD (yet). What was that like - any warnings? Messages? Can you try the drive in another computer?

Good luck.

Matt

My first indication was freezing about 10 seconds after getting to a login screen. Not long enough to enter my credentials. Also, most of the onscreen icons had disappeared. Finally, it went to a blue screen, then dead.

I am in the process of reinstalling whatever I can.

I had the old drive destroyed rather than try to recover stuff. I have the critical software backed up but it will take me, at my pace, some time to reinstall e.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: SSD Drive crashed! - 01/05/20 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Early on I read there are two kinds of computer users:

1) Those who have had a hard disk crash

2) Those who haven't had a hard disk crash - YET

Don, there are retrieval services that might be able to salvage some or all of the data on your drive.

Good luck,
Bob

Bob,

The only thing that I will miss are family pictures. Nothing else is important.

I have a 2TB Drive and several 150GB drives ( thanks BIAB updates ) that I had saved my music on so I am not in terrible shape but it will take time.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: SSD Drive crashed! - 01/06/20 10:57 AM
Pictures are irreplaceable. I hope you can salvage them.

Bob
© PG Music Forums