PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Any hope? [Resolved] - 03/01/20 11:10 PM
The other day, when starting up my win10 64 bit desktop, I got notice that Windows was installing updates, that It would take a few minutes, and that I should not turn off the computer. GRRR.

An hour and a half of frequent checks showed the same $-%%: messages. Power outages are not unheard of around here, or surges that reset my battery backup. One happened while I was away.

Now I can't boot up except to a notice that a certain file in the Windows directory is missing.

I don't have a backup disk. I've read that I can DL an .iso to thumb drive and use it to repair windows, but I can't make sense of any discussion/articles about whether or not I can keep my non-windows files...like two years worth of creative work with biab, not much of which is backed up.

All I wanted to do was spend a few minutes on the computer I paid for. I'm beyond angry, and as much with myself as with Windows. Well, mostly Windows. Give me a freaking option!!!

SO...is it possible I can get things back close to the way I had them? Any not-too-technical instruction U can read?

Sorry for the rant, but hopefully important info is buried in there.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Any hope? - 03/02/20 01:36 AM
Hi Tangmo,

Years ago, I found myself in a very similar situation.

What I did was to download a bootable version of Linux (the Ubuntu version) and by using that to boot up the computer, I was able to access all my files and copy them off the hard drive. I was quite relieved when this worked.

Now I don't know if starting up Ubuntu from a live DVD will give you access to your Windows 10 files but it might. It does work for me with my Windows 7 installation.

Here's Ubuntu if you want to check it out. When you start it up, choose the option that allows you to run it from the DVD and not the install option. It's freeware. You don't need to donate any money to get it.

https://ubuntu.com/#download

I'm downloading the version 19.10 ISO file to burn it to DVD and test it out. I'll report back. (It's 2.3 GB download.)

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Any hope? - 03/02/20 07:24 AM
I had this happen with my laptop last month.

I had several selections on the screen for possible solutions. After clicking around I found a restore command. Took that selection and half a day later my laptop was like it was a day or so before the update.

Sorry I cannot be more specific. Look around and see.

...Deb
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Any hope? - 03/02/20 09:02 AM
Thanks, Deb. I don't know that I can get booted up enough to find that selection. I'm confident O can eventually get Windows back and not have to convert the tower to a boat anchor. What I really want is to save my files...especially my .sgu's and stems.

Thanks, Noel. I hope this isn't too much trouble for you. I'm hoping for good news, but any report is welcome.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Any hope? - 03/02/20 09:30 AM
I've done the linux trick too - you can certainly save your data files and if you have the original windows number (its on a sticker at the side of the pc/laptop) you can reinstall windows10 from a download. you might be best to reinstall BIAB from your back up files at PG Music (unless someone wiser than me can advise that simply copying your BIAB files might work ) sgus and mgus i am classing as data.

its a pita but there's hope that its not too serious. i think if you can get a windows 10 download you can actually install and keep your data and settings so its just a matter of repairing the operating system.

if you have a friend with a pc you can can create windows installation media which is self booting and then i think there is an option to 'repair'
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Any hope? - 03/02/20 10:10 AM
Hi again,

I used CDBurnerXP (link) to burn the Ubuntu ISO file to DVD. This created a boot-up DVD with a working version of Ubuntu installed on it. It would also be possible to create a bootable flash drive if your computer supports this. The link below explains how to burn an ISO to a USB drive.

https://www.recoverywindowspassword.com/burn-iso-image-to-usb-drive.html

It took around 3 - 4 minutes to boot from the CD. Eventually, I reached an option to "Try Ubuntu" and I selected that.

Using Ubuntu's file manger, I could access my three Windows drives and directories by clicking on the "Other" option. I could then move files between drives and on to removable media.

Although I have Windows 7 and I cannot guarantee that it works the same with Windows 10, it's worth a try.

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture Ubuntu 19.10 file manager.JPG
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Any hope? - 03/02/20 11:55 AM
I know this doesn't help your problem, but to avoid it in the future you need to do two things:

1) Get a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

2) Get an external disk and disk cloning backup-up software (I use Acronis).

The next time Windows wants to update when you shut down, don't shut it down, instead run a backup with your cloning software. When the backup is complete, shut the computer down and let Windows do it's thing.

This not only happens with Windows, Mac does the same thing.

Also backup your drive often to the cloning disk. How often? Depends on how much you use it, what you use it for, and how important the data on your primary HD is to you.

I use Microsoft Sync Toy to back up the data I don't want to lose every day. I do a hard drive clone at least once a week depending on activity, it might be more.

Also, before I install any new program or major update to that program (even BiaB) I clone the disk first.

Running a computer without a backup is like taking your boat out in the ocean without a life vest. Most of the time it's OK, but when it's not OK it is a major problem.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Any hope? - 03/02/20 05:47 PM
Quote:
I'm confident O can eventually get Windows back and not have to convert the tower to a boat anchor. What I really want is to save my files...especially my .sgu's and stems.

Take the hard drive out of the tower and plug it into a different working desktop PC. Using that PC, copy all the files you need from your disk to a folder on the working PC's (C:) disk. Plug in a USB drive to that PC and copy your important files to it. Now that you have all your files backed up both on the second PC and on an external USB disk, you can continue doing whatever it is you need to do to get Windows working (reinstall / repair etc.) without worrying about possibly deleting your files in the process.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Any hope? - 03/02/20 10:02 PM
What brand and model computer do you have?

Chances are the computer has operating system back up and recovery options built-in. By knowing the brand and model we can download the manuals and offer alternate suggestions.

Andrew's suggestion above is spot on. His may save you a lot of grief. Always best to safeguard your files.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Any hope? - 03/03/20 01:14 AM
Thanks so much, all. I asked if there was hope, and it seems there is a lot of it. I will begin on these in order of increasing difficulty in my particular life situation keeping safety foremost.

Noel, you are as kindhearted as your songs tend to be.

I'll mark this "resolved" and get down to it. THANKS !!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Any hope? - 03/04/20 12:16 AM
Good luck! Let us know the results.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Any hope? - 03/10/20 12:58 PM
The bad news first. 1. Windows is toast. 2. I am a panicky dumb@zz.

The good news next. I am a panicky dumb@zz who did not remember that his irreplaceable files were on a different internal drive, and it is intact.

Given the age of the computer and the cost of repair and reinstallation of the OS, I've decided to just get a new system altogether. That's not the cheapest option, but it makes the most sense in the long run.

Though it will be a bugger-bear to reinstall apps, locate lost bookmarks, etc, etc, etc, at least I haven't spent the last two years with BIAB in vain.

We'll have to do some saving and maybe not feed the kids for a while, but I hope to be at least limping before too long.

Thanks again for giving a durn. It means a lot to me.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Any hope? - 03/11/20 11:09 AM
What a relief that must have been. I'm happy for you.

Notes
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Any hope? - 03/25/20 04:00 PM
Glad to read you're getting back on track. Good luck!
© PG Music Forums