PG Music Home
The emphasis is on FREE!

I have seen enough reviews to thoroughly confuse me.
Cakewalk by BandLab is free. I used to pay hundreds for it when it was SONAR. it’s very powerful and among the easier DAWs to use.
Don that is a good suggestion from Matt. Bandlab is truly free, not free for a while and such.
Don,

Here are a few for you to check out. +++ Ardour +++ +++ Tracktion Waveform Free +++ +++ MultiTrack Studio +++

The MultiTrack Studio link is really interesting because the software includes a suite of general midi compatible instruments. Make sure you watch the +++ MutiTrack Studio Demonstration Video +++. It's really fun to watch.

+++ THIS +++ Wikipedia page is a good resource for comparing DAWs.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Cakewalk by BandLab is free. I used to pay hundreds for it when it was SONAR. it’s very powerful and among the easier DAWs to use.

Matt,

Thank you for your prompt response. I d/l'd it but the installer appears to hang D/l'd again but the same problem. Just thought of something; I may have it installed previously.

Will scope that and report back.
Got it!

Thanks, Matt, and all who threw out a lifeline.

See why I love this little "family"?
Very good. After I created the BandLab account, I never used it except to download updates. But Cakewalk is great. Many here know and use it.
Yeah Jim put me on to BandLab and gave me a video so I could work out how to hook the Biab Plugin up to play midi:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/584qgofck4607e3/BandLab-BiabVST-Midi-Out.mp4?dl=0
Yes, I spent a fortune on Cakewalk/Sonar products over the years then Gibson bought them, they went kaput, BandLab acquired Cakewalk and have been providing updates regularly. Very powerful software with lots of bells and whistles, not too hard to learn and FREE. Wow.
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
Yes, I spent a fortune on Cakewalk/Sonar products over the years then Gibson bought them, they went kaput, BandLab acquired Cakewalk and have been providing updates regularly. Very powerful software with lots of bells and whistles, not too hard to learn and FREE. Wow.

Joe,

Thanks,

I downloaded Bandlab about a week ago and I am using it now. It looks like everything I'll ever need in a DAW and FREE is important to a retired guy.
Reaper immediately comes to mind - I've never used it personally but heard good things, considering it's free.
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Reaper immediately comes to mind - I've never used it personally but heard good things, considering it's free.

Deryk,

Thank you for tossing out a lifeline. I downloaded Reaper and Bandlab. Will experiment and decide.
There are users of each here, so you will have some support.
Thank you, Matt.

Looks like Reaper is Trialware for 30-days.
I thought after 30 days it will start with a 10sec wait then "Continue Evaluation ?"
I could integrate it with Biab and BiabPlugin because it uses scripting you can get it to do just about anything without the need to wish for years for a feature to be added.
I don't use Reaper, but I agree with Pipeline. I've read that after their trial period, you get a nag notice upon startup, but it's still free to use and not hobbled. Of course if you continue to use it, ethically you should register and pay.
In my experience Reaper does not force you to buy.
It will ask, and trusts that its value causes enough users to buy it voluntarily (many of us here have) .. but you can keep using it for free, as far as I know.
I've never heard of anybody being cut off using it.

If concerned about it, ask them privately and explain your situation. They seem pretty reasonable to me, and would probably offer a license. Nothing to lose by talking to them.

Hi,

Magix Samplitude have a free full version of Samplitude Pro X4 Silver.

https://www.magix.com/us/support/pro-audio-downloads/

Once installed just register for full serial key.

It is limited to 12 Tracks but accepts third party VSTi's and VST effects plus has it's own effects and the Independence 2GB sample library.

Well worth a try.

Brian
Bandlab? Never got past the first page of commercial gubbins.So much c--p on the page I just couldn't find out how to just open the DAW. Good luck.
True, the BandLab app looked like nonsense to me, but the Cakewalk part does not have ads.
REAPER !
and PLEASE pay the 60 buks.
i did immediately because i wouldnt be able
to live with myself otherwise.
reaper plus biab on ssd cant be beat.imo.
on Bandlab app/program, click the "APP" tab and open cakewalk. Not too difficult.
REAPER is what I use all the time and once you are used to it I don’t think it can be beaten for speed and rock solid reliability. It is not free. If you are deciding to use the software regularly you need to purchase. The non-commercial license is 60 dollars. What’s more purchasing a license covers you for two number upgrades. REAPER is constantly being developed and recently REAPER 6 was released. So if you purchase a license now it would cover you for all REAPER 6 updates and also through to the end of REAPER 7. I believe there was about three years been 5 and release of 6 so your newly purchase license will possibly last for 6 years. No need to repurchase until REAPER 8! It also has fantastic friendly forum like PG Music so if you need any help you can quickly obtain it.

I regard purchase of this license as the best value ever.
© PG Music Forums