PG Music Home
Posted By: leif1000 Need help setting up audio for my laptop - 07/08/20 01:00 PM
I have Windows 10 64 bit and I'm trying to play back a song I created in BIAB. Halfway through the song, it stops playing and I get a yellow pop up error "The default audio device has changed". Need help fixing this.

Also I need help with live recording a track over the BIAB file with my keyboard. I need specific instructions on how to setup my audio interface (Presonus Audiobox USB96 )so that I can play a piano part over my existing file. I have been able to get a signal in the BIAB with the piano but while playing it back, I can either hear the song file OR my piano but not both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached picture 20200627_170014.jpg
Hi

The only reason I can see for the default audio device to change would be if you lost connection to your usb audio interface this would throw you back on the internal sound card.
Possibilities are poor connection. Poor quality, or long usb lead, or over aggressive usb power saving scheme.(set usb ports to never off in your scheme which should also be set for high performance.)

Mike
Posted By: rharv Re: Need help setting up audio for my laptop - 07/08/20 07:04 PM
To start at the beginning, what is your selected audio device in BiaB?

Look in Options - Audio area. Make sure you are actually using the Presonus.
Then make sure the Presonus has good connection to computer (as Mike said).

Can you tell what it changes to when the yellow box comes up? (check windows audio again to see what changed).

Just a couple ideas I came up with to get started from.
The message is a little ambiguous in that 'the default driver changed' could mean the actual driver was changed, or it could mean the driver's settings have changed.

Hi again
Thought you might find this useful in your examination of usb leads.

Copied from my web site Technical Articles page.

“Not all USB cables are the same.

Having spent many hours and sleepless nights in the past with USB connectivity problems. Like my Novation impulse 61 controller keyboard and my Yamaha Cvp 405 dropping their connection to my music software. At a critical point and loosing hours of work. Or the dreaded drive not available when using USB hard drives on my Cvp.
I thought I would pass this on. USB leads from the pound shop just wont do .
Since upgrading my USB leads to the spec below I have had no problems for the last 12 mths or so

Not all USB cables are the same. The thickness of the wires that supply power to the device can be critical to both audio performance,
and its resilience to static electricity. The best way to choose a cable is to look at the markings on the side. These will usually say '2725' and then another set of numbers containing 'AWG': '28AWG/1PR AND 24AWG/2C' or similar. The first number will always be 28AWG, and the second will be a number between 20 and 28. The lower this second number, the thicker the wire. If the printing just says '28AWG', this means 28AWG for both numbers. Focusrite recommends using cables where the second number is 24AWG or lower.

This is especially important if the device takes its power from the USB skt as my Impulse 61 does
As it will play havoc with any running auto keyboard mapping programs like Automap
If it drops its connection..

Also Yamaha keyboards don’t have much power to spare for running usb hard drives that are powered by usb.

Have fun

Rev 8-10-14”

Mike
Thank you everyone for your help. I found that I had to disable the sound devices on my laptop that I wasn't using. This eliminated the problem of the popup coming up over and over again.

As for the recording input problems with my piano, I'm still working on being able to actually hear my live playing on the piano while I'm recording over the BIAB song.
Posted By: Bawb Re: Need help setting up audio for my laptop - 07/09/20 02:11 PM
Hi leif1000
Although this sounds kind of sketchy, but I've done it in the past...

If you have an RCA jack for your sound out, you could always plug one into your sound out on the keyboard and the other into the sound out from your laptop. Then hook your RCA cables up to a pair of headphones. You would have mono from each sound out ports coming through your headphones. So in other words, an RCA splitter/adapter with an adapter for a 1/8 or 1/4 female jack for headphones. Clear as mud??? Kind of janky, but it will let you hear both audios.
Good Luck
One way is to monitor through your PreSonus USB 96. The Presonus USB 96 box shows how to connect the laptop and your keyboard audio outputs to the rear of the PreSonus. There will be a rotary knob or switch on the front of the PreSonus USB 96 that blends both audio signals together. The blended audio is then sent to the Presonus headphone jack. The mixer and patch panel are needed in this instance.
© PG Music Forums