PG Music Home
Does anybody refurbish ThinkPad computers?

I'm thinking about retiring my 2002 ThinkPad. It's used on stage to display words or music notation and as a backup to play mp3 backing tracks in case my other stage ThinkPad dies on the gig. Since 2002 I've gone to the backup computer twice, that's not a bad track record.

I have a few others that through the years have been retired from my desktop/studio as they got too old to run modern software. A couple of newer than 2002 laptops on stage might be nice as screen displays have been improved since the early 2000s.

I know I can buy refurbished computers at places like NewEgg, but that seems foolish if I have my own. If it's economical to refurbish my own it sounds like a better deal, after all, I know how they have been treated.

If it costs too much, I don't want to do it, but if not, it seems like a good way to recycle old gear.

Thanks,
Notes

PS, I guess this shouldn't have gone into the SOS forum, sorry about that, it should have gone in plain Off Topic. I wasn't paying enough attention when I got this 'great idea'.

Just thinking out aloud here, and not intending to be negative, but wishing to be pragmatic, and I'm not sure if the underlying intention is to 'refurbish' or possibly to 'upgrade'.

About the only things that can be reasonably refurbished are the disk drive and cooling fans. Maybe memory could be replaced if the form factor is still available, but it won't be faster than the on-board clock rate set by the computer itself. It's unlikely the processor can be replaced as it is unlikely that it would still be available. Even so, it would probably be the same speed processor. Everything else will be integrated into the motherboard, so not replaceable.

So ultimately, even if you can refurbish, it's likely that you will wind up with the exact same performance and specs as you have now. It will still be an 18+ year old computer.
Thanks.

I'm obviously not a tech guy. Just a musician who can do some programming.

Notes
I had similar thoughts to Trevor's. Rather than refurbish, may repurposed? A single purposed computer can last for decades. There's likely many years of use for that old laptop.

Think of things you may not be inclined to purchase but would be very handy if you had it for low cost or free...

Security system
Finance
Word Processor to write your memoirs
home automation
very high end phone system
amateur radio interface - don't laugh at this one, amazzzzzzzzing hobby - especially where you're located on the coast, NASA, Military, Merchant Marine, Air travel, Commerce, Wefax receiver, weather and communications satellites, hurricane hunters, etc
Dedicated SDR receiver - another amazing hobby - similar to amateur radio - but very cheap.
Data storage
Dedicated home recording studio
Photo or video editing with what's now antiquated but still high end software.
Gigapan super high resolution photo editing (gigapan.com) you have to see this to believe it... expensive to buy the gear - but like BIAB, there's nothing like it...
Thanks. That's also on my list.

I've got a couple of old XP models that I've set aside. Haven't been turned on in years. I've got some ancient ones on stage that do nothing but run my mp3 backing tracks or display words and/or music notation.

The problem with ThinkPads is they are built so well, they are outdated before they wear out. That's a good problem IMO.

I might pass them down to the stage, and as the ones I'm using on stage are early 2000 models, perhaps I'll try to play with Linux or something.

One of them needs a CMOS battery, which shouldn't be a problem. It seems to have died in storage.

I just don't want to waste them by throwing them out.

Notes
A few other ideas I've thought of.

The Goodwill program in this area teaches computer hardware and software training. They accept and sell refurbished computers and used components.

Contact your local school system or homeless shelter to see if they accept used computers to be distributed to students in need.
Great idea, Jim. Thanks!
It depends on your definition of "refurbish" - usually this means to replace any broken parts and bring it back to "like new" condition.

If you mean "upgrade", then the story changes, as you'll be limited to what's upgradable in the laptop - CPU is usually not replaceable without changing the whole motherboard, though sometimes they are. RAM usually is upgradable, but you're stuck to whatever type of RAM it came with originally (DDR2/DDR3/1866mhz etc). Hard drive can often be upgraded or swapped to SSD, but if the laptop is old enough to still use PATA that'll likely exclude any available SSD's. And even after upgrading, you're still stuck with old technology.

Re-purposing as mentioned above is probably the best course. Use it as a workshop computer, or something like that.
Thanks.

I meant Refurbish to be 'as new'.

I have a couple of old XP computers that I outgrew, and I am reluctant to use them as spares for my on-stage computer not knowing how reliable they will be.

I suppose taking them to the computer shop I sometimes deal with and have him thoroughly check them out might be a better idea. It costs $85 to get in the door, and I have seen refurbished computers on NewEgg for not much more than that.

I guess it's the hippie in me that just hates to waste the Earth's resources. I've never been enthusiastic about participating in the disposable society.

Insights and incites by Notes
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
Thanks.

I meant Refurbish to be 'as new'.

I have a couple of old XP computers that I outgrew, and I am reluctant to use them as spares for my on-stage computer not knowing how reliable they will be.

I suppose taking them to the computer shop I sometimes deal with and have him thoroughly check them out might be a better idea. It costs $85 to get in the door, and I have seen refurbished computers on NewEgg for not much more than that.

I guess it's the hippie in me that just hates to waste the Earth's resources. I've never been enthusiastic about participating in the disposable society.

Repurposing is probably the way to go, prevents waste. Then shop for refurbished if you are looking for like new it is probably the best way to go. It is unfortunate that laptops are not built for upgrades, at least not very many are.
Thanks. You are confirming the conclusion I'm getting from all these helpful responses.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Notes
I finally gave up and threw my IBM ThinkPad T41p in the trash. It wouldn't even run Win7. Unless you're able to replace the motherboard with something more recent (super unlikely), there's no refurb that'll allow it to run today's OS and apps. I tried. And tried. And tried. I hauled that ThinkPad all over the world, and it still looked new. Loved it. That's why I bought a 2021 P17 to replace my desktop. $4900 list. Lenovo Christmas price? $2800! 4K display. 32 GB RAM. Thunderbolt 3. USB 3.2. 2 video drivers (can run internal and external displays at the same time). Built like a Sherman tank. I added one 2 TB TB3 SSD and two 2 TB USB 3.2 SSDs. BiaB and all of my sample libraries are on the TB3 SSD (40x faster than a 7,500 RPM HD). Having a blast, so far!
That's the problem. The ThinkPads are built so well they still work even though modern software requirements has surpassed their ancient hardware.

I think I'm going to take one and play with linux on it.

Notes
That's what I had done on an old PC years ago when I was taking Red Hat Linux Administrator training. Installing Red Hat was perfect and I had just used it as a web browsing machine.
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
It is unfortunate that laptops are not built for upgrades, at least not very many are.

Not many, if you're talking PC laptops, and approximately 0% if you're talking Mac or tablets.

Which is quite sad, as it generates a large amount of e-waste that fills up our oceans.
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
It is unfortunate that laptops are not built for upgrades, at least not very many are.

Not many, if you're talking PC laptops, and approximately 0% if you're talking Mac or tablets.

Which is quite sad, as it generates a large amount of e-waste that fills up our oceans.

Unfortunately the corporate business model makes disposal more profitable for the corporation than repair.

It's easier to make a disposable product, and when it wears out, you have to buy an entire new one. That keeps the current corporate quarter bottom line up and the stockholders happy.

Capitalism does have many great features, but it also has a few flaws. I don't know how to fix those flaws.

Notes
Anyone else remember the Seagate hard drive ad that showed a garbage barge with a mountain of IBM 10 MB hard drives from the original PC XT being taken out to N.Y.'s Atlantic garbage dump?

Brilliant on one hand, and a horrifying sign of things to come on the other.
Originally Posted By: TheMaartian

Brilliant on one hand, and a horrifying sign of things to come on the other.

I worked for a large company. They updated all of their computers, numbers in the thousands, a number of years ago. According to our government rules in order to declare them as a tax right off they had to destroy all of them, including the monitors. Such as waste! Many schools systems as well as employees could have used them and all they would have to purchase were hard drives, i.e they were destroyed in house.
Speaking of school systems. Local university's usually have surplus computers they sell, usually very very reasonably. Desktop models that can be refurbished and brought up to current standards, some that work right out of the gate without much add on. Anybody looking for a desktop can usually find this information on the university web site. When they replace their PC's they sell the old stuff. This is where the people building mac clones or Hackintosh computers usually get the bones to start.
I worked at a university and by the time we took out the parts that were usable there was almost nothing left.

Full time faculty computers were given to part time faculty for work use only.

Administration computers were given to support staff for work use only.

And, some were sold very cheaply to students in need.

Pieces and parts were used to keep the above computers working.

Wasn't much left after that.

...Deb
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I worked for a large company. They updated all of their computers, numbers in the thousands, a number of years ago. According to our government rules in order to declare them as a tax right off they had to destroy all of them, including the monitors. Such as waste! Many schools systems as well as employees could have used them and all they would have to purchase were hard drives, i.e they were destroyed in house.

Government rules also allow companies to donate whatever they want and get a charitable contribution deduction for it. My guess is they ran both sets of numbers and they got a bigger deduction by destroying them. The reason for destroying them btw, is the IRS "salvage" rules. If the numbers are large, this could trigger an audit if they don't have proof of that. This is an area where it's easy for a company to cheat by not destroying them but taking the depreciation anyway.

Things like this are not as obvious or as simple as it at first appears.

Bob
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music

Unfortunately the corporate business model makes disposal more profitable for the corporation than repair.

It's easier to make a disposable product, and when it wears out, you have to buy an entire new one. That keeps the current corporate quarter bottom line up and the stockholders happy.

Capitalism does have many great features, but it also has a few flaws. I don't know how to fix those flaws.

Notes

This is another of those more complex that it looks things. There certainly could be an element of planned obsolescence going on but I'll take the more obvious view. Everybody including you will price shop items to death, right? I know I do. If I can get something for $20 less I will. To make these things easily upgradable and serviceable would drastically raise the price. Would you or any of us pay it when both machines have the same performance? Here's an upgradable laptop for $2500, here's a standard one where all the components are jammed in and it's not feasable to swap out the mobo for $1800. Both have the same components and performance but one is easy to open up and upgrade and the other is what he all have now. Would you or the general public pay the extra?

This is the same equation with the gazillions of items made in China and sold here. People yell buy "made in America" to keep our jobs here yet go online and find the cheapest price for socks, snowblowers, solar panels, whatever and the cheapest ones are all made in China. Where's the buy American/Canadian mantra then? Nowhere.

Price always wins out.

Bob
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Government rules also allow companies to donate whatever they want and get a charitable contribution deduction for it. My guess is they ran both sets of numbers and they got a bigger deduction by destroying them. The reason for destroying them btw, is the IRS "salvage" rules. If the numbers are large, this could trigger an audit if they don't have proof of that. This is an area where it's easy for a company to cheat by not destroying them but taking the depreciation anyway.

Thanx for the explanation. I had no idea.

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Things like this are not as obvious or as simple as it at first appears.

Bob

IMHO nothing is obvious or even sensible when it comes to government rules and regulations.
I suppose some things are better disposable than others. With huge 'landfill' mountains and disposed plastic everywhere, it seems to me, we need a better way than use, toss, and replace.

When I was a kid, the landfill was called a dump, and it was spread out, not even a hill. Now the landfill mountain is so high the tractor on top looks like a toy.

Before COVID Leilani and I would take a 2-mile (and back) walk on the beach. The trash we pick up is truly staggering. Sometimes more than we can carry in the net bags we take with us.

I'm just at odds with a disposable society. I try to consume less, make better choices, and dispose of properly.

To get rid of a computer properly here, it takes driving to the dump (oops! Landfill), getting in line behind idling garbage trucks, going through the gate, finding the place they move every time, and off-loading it myself. That wouldn't be so bad, but from the mouth of an ex-employee, it ends up in the landfill anyway because nobody wants it.

Up here we have SunnKing, an end of life electric recycling company. They have a large warehouse factory were you drop off your electric items and they strip it of every that can be either reused or safely recycled.

As a contrast a very large portion of the paper, glass, metal, and plastic we place in out recycling bins goes to the landfills. That is information I obtained by the truck drivers handling the hauling.
Originally Posted By: DSM
I worked at a university and by the time we took out the parts that were usable there was almost nothing left.

Full time faculty computers were given to part time faculty for work use only.

Administration computers were given to support staff for work use only.

And, some were sold very cheaply to students in need.

Pieces and parts were used to keep the above computers working.

Wasn't much left after that.

...Deb

Bought a couple of old Dell's from University of Miami a few years ago. They were very serviceable as they were but with a few bucks brought them up to the current standard at the time. Very cheap, like less than 100 bucks apiece to buy.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Up here we have SunnKing, an end of life electric recycling company. They have a large warehouse factory were you drop off your electric items and they strip it of every that can be either reused or safely recycled.

As a contrast a very large portion of the paper, glass, metal, and plastic we place in out recycling bins goes to the landfills. That is information I obtained by the truck drivers handling the hauling.

I think the amount of recycling outpaced the recyclers a while back. I watched a hotel house cleaner pick up the recycling bin and throw everything into the one garbage bag she had and move on. I keep trying though.
The local Goodwill refurbishes desktops, laptops, printers and accessories. Goodwill offers computer hardware training and certified Microsoft software training. It's also a great place to obtain components.

Winston-Salem has seen a large turnover in corporations over the last decade so Goodwill has a huge stock of computers and accessories to choose from.

The North Carolina School of the Arts is also in Winston-Salem. They generously support Goodwill with mixers, power amps and other gear that gets replaced a lot so students can learn on the latest equipment.

Yes, definitely cheaper to make something that's uneconomic to repair, but there's something to be said for companies that actively make things harder to repair than they should be, like using custom screws that require a special screwdriver (or even one-way screws that can't unscrew), or gluing everything together so it can't be disassembled without destroying everything. It makes recycling much more difficult too, especially when integrated batteries are involved.

I'm glad that at least some parts of the world (Europe I think) are rolling out laws on reparability to try and combat the environmental issues of disposal.
Quote:
I'm glad that at least some parts of the world (Europe I think) are rolling out laws on reparability to try and combat the environmental issues of disposal.

Although slightly off-topic from the O/P's original request, Europe has had extremely strict laws on proper recycling management and regulated disposal of goods for many, many years. They may have lead the way in regulatory processes for effective waste management.
We reuse what we can (thus the original post), recycle what we can (although the county always doesn't do its part), reduce what we can (do we want or need this), and refuse to buy what harms the environment if there is a better choice.

It seems the car companies found out that selling repair parts is profitable. I went to a local dealer for a recall and the parts department had an award for selling the most parts.

I don't have a lawn. Everything in my half acre is either a native plant or doesn't need irrigation or fertilizer. I mow around the house a bit, but the ground cover is native and not lawn. It's all xeriscape vegetation.

When I moved here in 1990 I planted over 2 dozen trees, mostly Live Oak plus a few Royal Poinciana, Sabal Palm, Neem, Sea Grape, and Gumbo Limbo trees. I live in a green canopy now except for directly over the roof.

I painted my roof white to reflect heat out of the atmosphere.

Everything that is allowed goes in the recycle bin if it can't be reused. I take cardboard boxes to a local pack-and-ship business who appreciates reusing them instead of buying new ones.

I learned how to drive my car to get 100 extra miles on each tank of gas over the EPA rating. That means much less gas used and much less polluting exhaust in the atmosphere.

I figure if we all do what we can, we can make a change.

Quote:

In this case, "Insights and incites by Notes" grin
Have any of you signed up for the +++ Repair.Org +++ newsletter?

The newsletter is a good way to find out about which representatives support right to repair legislation, which one don't, what gets said at congressional hearings and more.

Another great organization to know about is +++ I Fix It +++ They create service manuals, tear down guides and sell tool kits and parts for electronic consumables.
Thanks!!!
I just donated my 2003(?) IBM/Lenovo Think Pad to a friend on fixed income whose Dell was dropped into water. It has a new SSD and battery with two whole hours capacity!!!! Runs Windows 7 Professional just fine.

My company told me to recycle it 10 years ago. When I retired recently, I let them know I still had it but when IT asked if I would send it back, I said, Ok, reimburse me for the battery and SSD. "Keep it"

Although I used to work in Windows support for a local Silicon Valley employer, I've not used a Win computer for a decade — or wanted to.

So can a Think Pad be upgraded and repurposed? Sure. Is it worth it? Ya gotta think hard about that one.
© PG Music Forums