PG Music Home
Posted By: Tobias Reset W 8.1 Computer - 03/08/21 03:43 PM
If I do a complete reset of my Windows 8.1 computer will it reinstall the last/latest windows 8.1 OS or will it rest to factory operating system which was W 8.0? Or, if I update this current 8.1 to windows 10, then do a complete reset, will it reinstall to the last OS (Windows 10) or will it reinstall the factory provided 8.0?
Reason I'm asking is I've been using this computer on 8.0/8.1 for over 7 years and its getting slow. I have a new W10 desktop on order and want to use this old laptop as a spare and back up.
And, I don't want to be stuck with an old 8.0 OS.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Reset W 8.1 Computer - 03/08/21 03:49 PM
By ‘reset’, do you mean a utility provided by the manufacturer of the laptop?
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Reset W 8.1 Computer - 03/08/21 04:46 PM
If it's recovering from a set of disks or from a recovery partition, it'll be whatever came with the computer (8.0). If you're installing from scratch, it'll be whatever version you're installing.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Reset W 8.1 Computer - 03/08/21 04:49 PM
I’m assuming the same as Simon, unless you are talking about some third-party backup program that creates what they call a reset disc.

I realize this is a backup machine, but if it were mine I would just install Windows 10. That should clean up some sluggishness. And you’re not kicking the can down the road to when you can’t support Windows 8.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Reset W 8.1 Computer - 03/08/21 05:08 PM
FYI - When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I did not lose any programs or data. I would assume, I know assuming is dangerous, that would also hold true for Win 8.1 to Win 10.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Reset W 8.1 Computer - 03/09/21 07:58 AM
You should be able to install Windows 10 directly over the top of Windows 8 and etain all of your existing programs.

My opinion on the upgrade path? Leave Windows 8 behind in the dust. Update to Windows 10.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Reset W 8.1 Computer - 03/09/21 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
You should be able to install Windows 10 directly over the top of Windows 8 and etain all of your existing programs.

My opinion on the upgrade path? Leave Windows 8 behind in the dust. Update to Windows 10.

I agree. Leave 8 in the bin with XP, Vista, and 7 where they belong. As a Mac user, Windows 10 is the first one where I've said "oh hey, this one's not bad".
Posted By: Tobias Re: Reset W 8.1 Computer - 03/10/21 01:00 PM
Thanks for your replies. I’ve been absent a few days. The process is; W8.0 is factory install. Updated to 8.1. I don’t care to keep any old programs or files be cause I’ve backed up only the programs and files I want onto an external thumb drive (which does not contain all the excess that I don’t want).
The reset procedure is part of Windows in Settings-Recovery-Reset. It says it will remove all programs and files and reinstall Windows. So, with that info, do you think it will reinstall 8.0 or 8.1 ? And, if I install (or updated to) W10 will it reinstall W10?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Reset W 8.1 Computer - 03/10/21 01:10 PM
Your vendor software will reinstall 8.0 only, ever.

I suggest you just install Windows 10.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Reset W 8.1 Computer - 03/12/21 03:24 AM
Okay, thanks.
© PG Music Forums