PG Music Home
Posted By: furry Yamaha Tyros 5 Mic recording issue - 04/20/21 02:06 PM
Hi Guys, we've had an ongoing issue with audio recording into our Yamaha Tyros 5 keyboard. From time to time neither of our mikes work. We've tried different cables and asked on a Yamaha keyboard forum but they're stumped. When they work the results are excellent. Anyone have any ideas ? Could it be a software glitch, or a connection issue in the rear ?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Mic recording issue - 04/20/21 05:10 PM
Graham, exactly what is your setup? Are the audio mics or are you recording directly from the Yamaha to your computer? Or are they USB mics? The reason I ask is because it makes a difference. If it is USB then maybe Window is turning those ports off. If it is audio then maybe either Windows or your DAW/BiaB is loosing the connections.

If you are using audio mics then I would ask why?
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Mic recording issue - 04/20/21 06:08 PM
Hi Graham

Well as you know I have a Yamaha CVP 405 and I use the built in Audio recorder often from my Shure mike.
and I know lots of folk with Tyros.

Is it possible that you have a couple of rouge registrations saved with the mike turned of, that you may call up now and again.

Or assignable knob or slider effecting say the mike trim. Or even the mike trim itself getting turned down.

Just a couple of ideas of the top of my head.

Mike
Posted By: furry Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Mic recording issue - 04/20/21 09:17 PM
Thanks Mike it could well be the registrations, will check that out tomorrow.
Mario I'm using audio mikes. One reason.... Simplicity. The T5 has a superb onboard recorder and I don't need to faff with the pc at all.
Both mikes we have are Sure, one which I use for doing my radio shows and the other for Kays singing
Posted By: furry Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Mic recording issue - 04/21/21 07:34 AM
Mike I've looked at everything you've suggested and still comes up blank. I forgot to mention that the audio signal IS SHOWING up when you tap the mike or speak, but nothing comes out of the speakers or headphones
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Mic recording issue - 04/28/21 09:54 AM
< I forgot to mention that the audio signal IS SHOWING up when you tap the mike or speak, but nothing comes out of the speakers or headphones >

< Could it be a software glitch, or a connection issue in the rear? >

The audio signal coming from the microphone through the cable into the pre-amp is an analog audio signal and not digital which indicates your issue is very likely a software glitch, setting or internal physical fault. If your meters are showing a mic signal, it's there and being muted somewhere further along the signal path.

The fact of the audio showing in the meters but no sound also eliminates the external cable connection because the signal is passing through to the pre-amp and the meter taps the pre-amp signal. A connection issue could cause distortion or intermittent cut-outs or complete failure of the signal path.

Because the problem is intermittent and occurs randomly, the issue sounds like it's a physical connection fault on the internal pre-amp board of your Tyros 5 keyboard called a cold solder joint. It's a very common fault that is a simple fix of locating and re-soldering the offending connection. The issue is the keyboard has to be opened up and possibly taken partially apart to access the PC board.

Posted By: furry Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Mic recording issue - 04/28/21 08:59 PM
Thanks Charlie,I've discovered that The issue only seems to be on one audio output. The second one's ok, so we can cope with that.
© PG Music Forums